Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Share your experiences in searching for 1950-1970 Proof and SMS Cameos

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
I posted for the second time this morning. The title of the post was "Thanks For Your Warm Welcome". Currently 6 replies to same have been posted. The title did not indicate that I was seeking to hear from other forum members about their experiences in searching for 1950-70 cameos. It struck me a few minutes ago that the title to the post may not prompt a look from many forum members.

This third post is a followup to my second post in the hope that its title will grab the attention of forum members who like cameos. If so, please refer to my second post if interested. Any sharing of experiences in searching for these coins would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Well, I bought these two proof sets on eBay early last year:

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Just found your other post. Welcome. Sounds like you're infected with the same disease several of us are. I blame Tomaska too. image Great group of coins, and although they've been appreciated by some collectors for a very long time, nice coins haven't overrun the market. 71 is the cut-off for me, not 70, but I chase the SMS coins pretty hard. I also enjoy Kennedy errors and varieties. Fun coins, not expensive, and available raw in grades I enjoy. Here's a pic of a coin I like.

Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Well, I bought these two proof sets on eBay early last year:

Sometimes I think Russ has some magic cameo dust lying around, and he sprinkles a little, and out of ebay pop all of these cameos..... image

I wish I had some keen photos to add here, but I don't. My most recent find was an Anacs graded 63 franklin- pr67 cameo. The franklin is beautifully toned around the rims, with a little dark toning in the fields that plays against the devices. Looks very close to dcam, and looks like a 68, and it cost about $30. It's the most stunning cameo franklin I've seen so far and the seller (on ebay) sold it without a picture. So naturally, I rolled the dice and had no competition.... I'm going to try and get some photos, but sometimes these cameo coins are really hard to capture with a poor digital camera!
    The thing I especially like about this time period, is the idea that you can still find undiscovered gems lying around in dealer shops, antique stores, ebay.... and that a lot of people who originally got these items just don't know the real value of the higher end pieces. So there's an element of the treasure hunt that kickstarts the child inside. I know I said hello in one of your earlier posts, but hello again anyway.....

My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    Russ, the halves in the two proof sets look magnificent, even in the original mint cello. Cut out of the cello and viewed in hand must have been a treat. A couple of months ago I visited a local shop, found and bought a 1964 proof set with a half that looked just like your two sets (no accented hair though) and a 1967 SMS set with a half that looks just like the halves in your two sets (the reverse cameo is not as heavily frosted as the obverse though).

Myqqy, your 1965 SMS quarter is the best I have ever seen. Last month I was on a family vacation and visited a local shop. I found and bought a 1965 SMS set with a quarter that looks like yours, except the reverse does not have the degree of frost that yours has.

DHeath. your proof Franklin sounds great. If you can post a picture, please do. A number of years ago I purchased a 1963 proof set and found it contained a half with stunning deep cameo frost and liquid mirrors on both sides.

All of these coins were quite inexpensive to acquire. Placed in capitol holders next to other similar coins of other dates in the series makes for very attractive displays. A great way to enjoy the hobby.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I never find anythingimage
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I never find anything
    What are you talking about?? I think there's another thread floating around now about 1970 small dates???
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options

<< <i>I never find anything >>

Me neither!!!.image
  • Options
    Marty, surely you jest (I have seen many of your prior posts with pictures of the cherries you have picked in the past, including a stunning 1963 deep cameo half in a proof set you bought for $10.00, and many of your "grades are in" posts). I am in awe of your success in locating these cameo coins. Knowedge and persistence does have its rewards.
  • Options
    Marty is FOS
    Russ probably buys and sells more Proof and SMS sets than anybody on the planet.

Myself ? got this brilliant idea i was gonna build me a high grade birth year Proof set (1957),so i get started and then start the research (insert Dumbass here),get the book from Tomaska,Coppercoins book is on the way,the Breen is never more than 2 feet away.
    Found that 50's and 60's CAM's,aint that common and a lot are flat ass RARE.
    (Has anybody seen the 57 Lincoln 68 Cam i need ?)
  • Options
    I always get outbid on those SMS cameos. That's why I have none.
  • Options
    100proof1957, I have a 1957 raw proof cent that has frosted devices and nice mirrors (though with very slight haze). I suspect it could possibly merit a cameo designation from a TPG, however I do not think it would come close to a PF68 grade. I looked for this cent for years before I found it.

My birth year is 1956. I have birth year coins, with the cent, nickel and half nicely cameoed (the half is deep cameo; the nickel has great contrast with uniform frost and liquid mirrors). The dime and quarter are cameoed on the obverse and brilliant on the reverse. None are graded (maybe in the future). I suspect that 1956 is easier to put together than 1957. If I find a slabbed cameo 1957 cent in 68 I will let you know. Good luck in your search.
  • Options
    57 Lincolns in PR68 CAM have a combined POP (PCGS and NGC) of i believe 18 !
  • Options

<< <i>Russ, the halves in the two proof sets look magnificent, even in the original mint cello. Cut out of the cello and viewed in hand must have been a treat. >>

Here's one them out of the celo:

And in a PCGS PR68DCAM (POP 8/0) holder. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Sanction,

Thought you might enjoy this one. The red circles are my own note taking system to remember the flaws. This one's pretty nice. image

• Options
    Don,

Post the big kahuna!

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Russ, I don't have a nicer Kennedy than that AH, and doubt ANYBODY does. Here's another fun coin though.image

• Options
    YES YOU DO!!!!

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    You mean this one? It's still not as nice. image

• Options
    Can't really leave out the Jeffs though.

• Options
    Russ and Don,

Thanks for the pictures. Both coins are stunning. The 1964 looks very similar to one I recently acquired (except the reverse of mine pales in comparison to Russ's). The mirrors on the 1966 is far better than any I have seen. What, pray tell, is the big kahuna?

I have enjoyed posting and replying yesterday and today. It is nice to find others who share a common interest. I will post more in the future and look forward to corresponding with forum members.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Is anyone else getting sick and tired of viewing 1964 Accented Hair Kennedys ?

Give it a rest. Jeesuz.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Just bought 2 57 Linky proofs that looked like a shot cam for 5 bucks ea.
    will post pix when they show up

Does anyone think if a person gets a nice coin that they have no interest in,are they likely to give up on it and sell it cheap ?
  • Options
    I can not seem to keep up with responding to posts quickly enough. I can see where some people could spend lots of time on these boards.

The picutres posted look very similar to coins that I obtained over the years. It is nice to be able to compare mine with those of other forum members. I will undoubtedly obtain a newfangled digital camera and learn how to take pictures, learn how to download same into that computer thingy and learn how to send the pictures to this forum.
  • Options
    Takin great pix of coins is the work of an artist !
    all i can do is finger paint !
  • Options
    .image
  • Options

<< <i>The mirrors on the 1966 is far better than any I have seen. What, pray tell, is the big kahuna? >>

It's the 1966 SMS in MS68UCAM that Don just posted. He crossed it to PCGS at 68DCAM, pop 4/0.

<< <i>Is anyone else getting sick and tired of viewing 1964 Accented Hair Kennedys ?

Give it a rest. Jeesuz. >>

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Sanction,turn on your PM
  • Options
  • Options
    I will undoubtedly obtain a newfangled digital camera and learn how to take pictures, learn how to download same into that computer thingy and learn how to send the pictures to this forum.

• Options

Enough already. If I see another accented hair Kennedy, I think I'll vomit. image

Its more than a bit tiresom.image

No one cares how many of these you have. Its ridiculous that you think that they are something to be coveted. Enough already !
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>Enough already. If I see another accented hair Kennedy, I think I'll vomit. >>

Aim carefully so you don't get any on your shoes:

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I wonder if you really think that your post are humorous ,,,,,,,,,,,, NOT,,,,,,,,,,,,

If I collected only one date and type, maybe I'd be as fixated as you are............

Come on now, Russ..... can't you just stop posting these coins ( don't get me wrong, I like the 64 Accented Kennedys, but don't you think that we'd all enjoy seeing something else ?)

Maybe SMS Camoes.........at least the'd be a breath of fresh air ...............

PLEASE
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Hmmmm...I have proof sets and the SMS sets for all of the 60's in my safety deposit box. Have to pull them out and check for cams and if so get some pics to post.
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe to SMS Camoes.........at least the'd be a breath of fresh air ............... >>

Don't say I never did anything for you. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only started looking for these coins after joining the boards. I've always been a cherrypicker at heart, so these were right up my alley. I've had some limited success in finding early CAMs so far, with even less success figuring out how to photograph them. The following three coins, all purchased raw and submitted to PCGS, should illustrate both points nicely image .

1960 Franklin PCGS 67CAM

imageimage

1969-S Lincoln PCGS 67DCAM

1968-S Jefferson PCGS 68DCAM

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    WHAT, NO ULTRA CAM 1965'S ?
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    This one seems to have lost it's FG
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options

<< <i>WHAT, NO ULTRA CAM 1965'S ? >>

See what an accomodating person I am? image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    OKAY, YOU'VE GOTTEN MY ATTENTION. IS THAT 1965 ULTRA CAM FOR SALE ?
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    My, my,my.............., after a 13 hour hiatus, I just returned to my third post. "I see Kennedies, I see Kennedies". Great pictures, especially the 1965 cameo. What is its grade? None of the 1965's I have seen come close to the one pictured (it looks like the one listed in Tomaska's web site in his library of finest known cameos). What is its most recent sale price?

Is the tower a picture of Russ's 1964 accented hair collection? If so, why would one person seek to acquire so many examples of the same coin (collecting, slabbing and then selling makes sense, collecting, slabbing and hoarding is another matter)? The motivations of collectors can be very obscure.

Excuse my ignorance, I assume PM means private message but am not sure. I do not know how it works. Any explanation would be appreciated, but please explain slowly and in simple words (no techno speak) cuz I do not know much about modern telecommunications.
  • Options
    go to profile and turn on the "private messaging " function
  • Options

<< <i>(it looks like the one listed in Tomaska's web site in his library of finest known cameos). >>

It is. image

<< <i>Is the tower a picture of Russ's 1964 accented hair collection? If so, why would one person seek to acquire so many examples of the same coin (collecting, slabbing and then selling makes sense, collecting, slabbing and hoarding is another matter)? >>

Why do people climb mountains? image

Actually, most have been sold off. I'm down to CAMs, DCAMs and PR68s, 26 left. I also have one PR66 left, but it's reserved for a bet I'm about to lose. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I save all the gems I find whether they're needed in my collection or not. I believe
    these coins are seriously undervalued and have no intention of selling any until
    they are fairly valued. The downside is having to maintain several safety deposit boxes.

After you enable your PM function by clicking the profile button under the navigation
    menu (above right), you'll be able to send Private messages to other users on this site.
    Click on the lock above one of their posts and follow the prompts. You can look at old
    PM's by clicking on "view history" on the lock above left. This lock will flash when you
    recieve a private message.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    TTT.

Thought I would resurrect one of my first threads while I take a trip down US Coin Forum Memory Lane. Perhaps others would like to chime in. Happy new year everyone.
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭
    Wow those are some excellent DCAM and CAM Proofs!

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually, most have been sold off. I'm down to CAMs, DCAMs and PR68s, 26 left. I also have one PR66 left, but it's reserved for a bet I'm about to lose. >>

imageimage
  • Options
    TTT, simply because I love the look of some of the coins pictured in this thread, including the 1965 SMS half and the 1966 SMS half, both in blazing CAM/DCAM.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>TTT, simply because I love the look of some of the coins pictured in this thread, including the 1965 SMS half and the 1966 SMS half, both in blazing CAM/DCAM. >>

It's amazing so many pictures survive- - and they are of incredible coins.

ttt
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    TTT, in honor of Russ's newest 64 DCAM AH Proof half.

A blast from the past with pics of two of Russ's earlier cherrypicks of the same coin from original sets sold to him on E-Bay. Enjoy the pics and vicariously share the success of Russ's efforts.
  • Options
    Ditto, TTT for Keets.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file