Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Advice/opinion needed, British coin collectors

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have an opportunity to purchase an original 1950 and 1951 British Proof Sets. These sets come with the case and the coins haven't been removed from the plastic film (see attached scan).

The seller wants well above Krause for the sets, but the price is in line with Spinks. Have anyone seen the sets in original film? All the sets I've seen have been in the case.

Should I buy the sets? What do you think the future holds for these sets? I know the price has sky rocketed in the past year.

Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    I would say the coins are in better-than-average shape if they're still in the plastic. If it were me, I would try to make a deal with the seller because all the other ones I see keep going up in price. image
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coins look a lot nicer than my quick scan. The dealer is already giving me 15% off their listed price and won't go any lower.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    In my honest opinion, I don't know.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭
    I'd have to see them, but I bought a 1951 in London a few years back that were in mylar plastic. It is still the best set I have seen.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say buy them, if you've got the loot.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen so many out of the mylar and so few in that I suspect many
    were issued without the mylar. The finest set I've ever seen of this one
    was in the mylar and blew all the others away.
    Tempus fugit.