Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My son is looking for a CHEAP CC and/or O Morgan Dollar!

ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
My very enthusiastic 7 year old son has just started collecting coins several months ago wants a coin displaying each mint mark.

I had to explain why D (Dahlonega) and C (Charlotte) are out of the question (gold coins only), but the O and CC mint marks are obtainable in the Morgan Dollar series.

Does anyone have a real cheap example (undamaged and uncleaned) you can sell to my son? As you can imagine, his funds are very limited.

Thanks,
Christopher

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Comments

• Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    Does he want the same year mintmarks...ie.. all 78's or can they be different dates?
  • Options
    GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭
    How about an 1882 O/O PCI slabbed MS-63? I can get a pic up tomorrow if you'd like. The obverse has some kinda "eh" toning, but the reverse has an interesting purple-gray-gold color to it. PM me if he's interested..I'm thinking about $20 - can he afford that?
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My very enthusiastic 7 year old son has just started collecting coins several months ago wants a coin displaying each mint mark.

I had to explain why D (Dahlonega) and C (Charlotte) are out of the question (gold coins only), but the O and CC mint marks are obtainable in the Morgan Dollar series.

Does anyone have a real cheap example (undamaged and uncleaned) you can sell to my son? As you can imagine, his funds are very limited.
    >>

Define "real cheap." Even worn and original, you can easily get an O-mint Morgan for $10, and a well-worn CC-mint Morgan for $60-70, maybe a little more for one that's not worn ragged.

I don't have one, but I just figured I'd let you know that's what you're looking at. Many O-mint Morgans sell for "common date" prices, particularly in well-worn grades.
  • Options
    sent a PM.

Louis
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does he want the same year mintmarks? >>

Beggers can't be choosers if you know what I mean. Price is the primary driver.

<< <i>How about an 1882 O/O PCI slabbed MS-63? I can get a pic up tomorrow if you'd like. The obverse has some kinda "eh" toning, but the reverse has an interesting purple-gray-gold color to it. PM me if he's interested..I'm thinking about $20 - can he afford that? >>

$20 is high (he's thinking $5), but I'll discuss it with him. A pic would be great!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    How about giving him a bigger allowanceimage
  • Options
    Maybe you could take him to a local coin show and let him pick and choose between a nice number of pieces, it'll really make him happy just to see them too.
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    I have an 1884-O that was body-bagged as "cleaned". If he doesn't mind a cleaned coin I would be willing to give it to him free just to keep his interest going. Here is a scan.
  • Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    Man thats a pretty 84! sorry about the bb...Shamika...a real parent would go out and buy him an 89-cc....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file