Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GOETZ: Opus 209(a) Trial Casts

K-209(a) CLEMENCEAU’S POLICIES OF CONQUERING (Clemenceaus Eroberungspolitik, Fernbeschiessung von Paris)., 58mm, Trial AE uniface obverse and reverse casts. 1918, UNC, reverse punched “4”, unique.

On the occasion of the long distance bombardment of Paris. Inscription on Obverse “The answer to Clemenceau’s policy of conquering…” with the image of Clemenceau pointing toward Alsace-Lorraine and Rhine.

Inscription on the reverse “…long distance bombardment of Paris March 23, 1918.” With image of clemenceau as a cat avoiding the bombing.

A wonderful unique set.

Comments

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    How does the design compare to the final result?

I assume that the problem area to the right of Alsace-Lorraine is because of lesser quality materials used to cast a trial piece.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    WOW! Great designs!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭
    Farthing, this must have been a trial near the end of proofing the cast as the design here is the same as the final medal with the exceptions of the flaw you pointed out and the one located at about one o'clock on the reverse rim. What else unusual about this piece is it appears to have a small amount of natural patination as Goetz did not "stain" this one...there was no real reason too with it being a trial. I don't know what the "4" stands for but speculate that it was the fourth trial...not real sure though.
  • Options
    Did Goetz do all of the work himself?
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    yes, with the exception of farming out some casting of the raw medals from sand casts made from his gypsum molds (plaster casts). He would then receive the raw medals back and add his custom made patination formula. Of course he made a number of the complete medals before he farmed out the larger "batches" for the more popular medals. You may have noticed my mentioning "edge incuse" in my descriptions. This incuse of his name was placed on the edge of the medal for his nicer pieces that he made entirely himself. This does not mean that he didn't make most of the medals without the punch because I believe he did, but it appears he added the extra punch to the especially nice pieces. One fifth of my collection has this edge incuse signature.
  • Options
    You should post a brief bio of Goetz sometime, I'd like to know more about the guy who created these medals!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I could do that...not tonight though. It will be real brief as there isn't a whole lot known about the guy. I'd sure like to gain more of his things that will help me decipher his artistic processes....
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    A lovely example of this pair!! Did you notice that, in addition to Goetz's usual oversized hands, Clemenceau's hand on the post(?) bearing Alsace is also rendered to appear a little skeletal?
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image