Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Franklin lovers - Is there sometimes a fine line (so to speak) between FBL and non-FBL?

Is there?

In most cases, is it obvious whether the bell lines are full, or are there gray areas? Do you find that the grading services prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to awarding the FBL designation?

Dan

Comments

• Options
    Yes
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    Is there a technical description of FBL? I'm still learning and wouldn't know FBL from not.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I find it's pretty easy to determine FBL from non-FBL at PCGS, while at NGC it's a crapshoot at best. PCGS looks at the lower set only, NGC at both sets. NGC is much more finicky about hits going through the lines.

A major hit going through the lines, or a few minor ones, will axe the designation at PCGS. They grade more on the strike: if they're full, they're full.

NGC I think examines the coin with a microscope. If any molecules are mis-aligned, sorry.
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, there is a fine line on many of the dates. Some dates are usually well struck with well preserved dies and almost all the coins are FBL. The 48. 48D, 49, 49D for instance fall into this category. Most of the dates, however, have that fine line. By a long mile, the area where most coins fall short of FBL are the lower lines just to the left of the bell crack. The lower lines, by design, go to about 1/64 of an inch to the crack. On many coins, the lines fade out just to the left of that area, and it becomes a judgement call if the lines are there or not.

Take this 1955. Here, you can see the lines go right up to the crack, definately very full. But look at the nick running through the upper bell lines. NGC will not grade this coin FBL based on the nick, PCGS would. But the nick goes lightly through the lower bell lines, where PCGS might knock it out of FBL based on that.

Here's a 48D, which normally comes very well struck. But look at these lines. They fade just to the left of the crack. You can barely see the definition between the lines running up to the bell crack, which, even though the bell lines are fairly flat, the faint line should keep it in FBL. Anything less than this, and it is not an FBL. This coin is a good example of a barely makes it FBL.

Of course the other areas of the lines also have to be separated, and coins can fail FBL if they fade anywhere over the lines. Hope this helps.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    I swear sometimes PCGS uses the FBL designation like NGC uses the " star" ; on a coin that almost makes the next grade up - they throw on an FBL to give it market value .

Pcgs has no set standard , it's up to their whimes.............NGC on the other hand needs them chisled in stone to give it out .

Damn D.H - you are good !!!!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I swear sometimes PCGS uses the FBL designation like NGC uses the " star" ; on a coin that almost makes the next grade up - they throw on an FBL to give it market value .

Pcgs has no set standard , it's up to their whimes.............NGC on the other hand needs them chisled in stone to give it out .

Damn D.H - you are good !!!!!!!!! >>

I've wondered the same thing ole supercar!
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a web site displaying the difference of the FBL's and Non-FbL? Or reference book?
    Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    <<Is there sometimes a fine line (so to speak) between FBL and non-FBL?>>

Sometimes? No. Many times/often? Yes.image
  • Options
    HeywoodHeywood Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭
    It seems the more expensive the coin, the better the lines need to be,

BUT>>>>

there are a bunch of "semi-keys" that are FBL, and you might say, How the Heck did they miss that!

I also agree that sometime the FBL goes to Borderline coins for almost a market grade.

if I laid out all of my FBLs, I would probably eliminate 10% as not being up to snuff.

A witty saying proves nothing- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor

does the truth become error because nobody will see it. -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    It shouldn't be.

I wouldn't pay these kind of numbers on what amounts to marginal coins. Seems like "you kids" have grown soft on everything from FBL Franklins to FH Stg Lib quarters.

When I was your age, not only would that bell have lines in it, it would have been hear "ringing" round the world!image
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    "The complete Guide To Franklin Half Dollars" By Rick Tomaska is a great reference guide for Full Bell Line Franklins.

"FULL BELL LINES"

"When the bottom set of lines across the Liberty Bell is complete and uninterrupted, a circulation strike (non-Proof) Mint State 60 or better Franklin half dollar receives the designation of Full Bell Lines (FBL). If these lines are obscured by weakness of the strike, contact marks, planchet defects or other reasons the coin will not receive the FBL designation."

"A few light marks across the bottom set of lines will not prevent a coin from receiving an FBL designation as long as these marks do not interrupt the continuity of these lines."

"Slight incompleteness of the bell lines immediately to the left or right of the crack that traverses the bell will not in itself prevent a coin from receiving the FBL designation."

The top lines of the bell lines will not be as defined as the bottom set.
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    I find that the bell lines often dissapear to the left of the clapper and on the left and right ends of the bell.

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options

<< <i>I swear sometimes PCGS uses the FBL designation like NGC uses the " star" ; on a coin that almost makes the next grade up - they throw on an FBL to give it market value .

Damn D.H - you are good !!!!!!!!! >>

I still swear it .........

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file