Home Sports Talk
Options

Cowboys cut Carter after positive cocaine test

Quarterback Quincy Carter is expected to be released by the Dallas Cowboys Wednesday after testing positive for cocaine, league sources told FOX NFL Sunday insider John Czarnecki.

Club owner Jerry Jones confirmed that Carter has been released. "It was not a difficult decision for me," he said, declining to elaborate.
Cowboys coach Bill Parcells, asked about Carter's release at a regularly scheduled news conference Wednesday at the team's training camp headquarters in Oxnard, Ca., said: "I'm saddened by this. I've got 18 months invested in this process, too. But we're going on."

Carter entered the league in the NFL substance abuse program and this is his second positive test, which by NFL rules would warrant a four-game fine — not a suspension.

Parcells said offseason acquisition Vinny Testaverde, 40, will replace Carter as the Cowboys' starting quarterback. "Right now, that's the most experienced player that we have, and I'm confident in that player," he said.

Photo gallery
NFL training camps

More CZAR: Latest NFL Insider news

Aikman: Where Cowboys go from here

Carter's agent, Eugene Parker, did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

Carter, who started all 16 games last season, came to camp expecting to be the starter again. The other quarterbacks besides Testaverde are rookie Drew Henson and unproven second-year player Tony Romo.

The Cowboys drafted Carter in the second round out of Georgia in 2001. He was named the starter to replace Troy Aikman during his first training camp, but he struggled and only started the first eight games. He went 3-5, completing 90 of 176 passes for 1072 yards, five TDs and seven interceptions.

The next year he was the starter out of camp again, leading Dallas to a 3-4 record before losing the job to Chad Hutchinson.

Last season, the Cowboys went 10-6 with Carter starting and got back in the playoffs in Parcells' first year in Dallas. He threw for 3,302 yards, but had 21 interceptions and 17 touchdowns. He was intercepted at least twice in six games.

This move comes on the heels of reviews claiming that Henson has been the best quarterback in camp thus far

Many successful trades!

Refs- Just ask!