Home Sports Talk
Options

Italy 95, USA 78

Just out of curiosity, what do people here think about this upset? Personally I'm pleased by it. And it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I am Canadian. Call me a purist, but I am a firm believer that the Olympics are for amateur athletes ONLY! I'm sure people have differing points of view on this topic and they are going to say the Russian Red Army started it first. But I personally think if that's true, then it should have started and ended there. It just snowballed. As I said before, I am pleased with the outcome of this, albeit, exhibition game, purely because of the fact that the losing side was completely stacked with NBA all-star talent. It wouldn't matter to me what team name was on the jersey. I'm from Canada and when all other Canadians are watching and cheering Team Canada on in Hockey, I don't even pay attention, it's my own personal protest I guess.

So basically my point is that the Olympics was strictly for amateur athletes who might not ever have a chance to show their skills and talents to the world. And it should be that way again!

My 2 Cents

-KG

Edit for Spelling Corrections

Comments

• Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    NBAers in the Olympics is a fad that has outlived it's usefulness.

Back in 1992 we finally got to show the world that we had the best players on the planet. The players were fired up and actually seemed to have pride and care.

Now it seems like the NBAers on our Olympic team would rather be somewhere else--perhaps spending their money. The novelty has worn off. It's just like how the baseball All-Star game is a joke, as well as the NFL Pro Bowl. None of those guys care. It seems many of them even look for any excuse not to have to go and participate. Ouch! I stubbed my little toe! Sorry, can't play!

• Options

<< <i>It seems many of them even look for any excuse not to have to go and participate. Ouch! I stubbed my little toe! Sorry, can't play! >>

Or Peja, I believe it was, who was too tired to play for his country (even though I don't believe he should be offered that opportunity in the first place)
  • Options
    Well, all the best players not on the USA team. There's no Shaq, Kobe, Ben Wallace, Rip Hamilton, Tracy McGrady, Jason Kidd, Ray Allen, Jermaine O'Neal, etc. So, it's going to be a challenge.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    There are very few truly pure amateur athletes left at the top levels. For decades, they've gotten around the rules with "apprearance fees" and "sponsorships" and the like, so they can say they aren't getting paid to perform, but that's what it is. Plus, if the rules were strictly enforced as originally designed, especially in basketball and baseball, within a couple cycles they might have to run a high schooler or two out there. No, the Olympics decided that it was a business first and nationalistic amateur athletic contest second a long time ago, and each time around are happier and happier to have the best known American athletes playing no matter what their status.

BTW, it was an exhibition game, didn't mean anything. No one likes to lose, especially by 17, but when the games are real, so will be the play. They've only been playing together for a short time, and Brown knows how to coach.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Well my take on it is that other countries for years before 1992 used their professional athlethes in the olympics. Am I wrong or didn't Russia used to basically manufacture olympic teams these people were trained for one thing and that was to win a gold so what is really wrong with us using our pros. I agree though it should be a truly amateur event and the basketball teams have outlived their glamour.
  • Options
    RG58RG58 Posts: 119
    Men's olympic basketball sucks! I'd rather watch the WNBA.

In fact, the summer olympics in general SUCK!

The winter sports are another story because the US doesn't have a monopoly in gold medals so viewing is more exciting.

I mean how many times can you watch the same American swimmer win 5 gold medals!
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭

<< <i>Well, all the best players not on the USA team. There's no Shaq, Kobe, Ben Wallace, Rip Hamilton, Tracy McGrady, Jason Kidd, Ray Allen, Jermaine O'Neal, etc. So, it's going to be a challenge. >>

That's a weak excuse. How many of the Italians play in the NBA? Bottom line is the US should have kicked their asses.

Personally, I don't have a problem with pros in the Olympics. It permeates nearly every sport, not just basketball and hockey. Globally speaking, basketball has really taken off in popularity in the rest of the world, due in large part to the presence of the American "Dream Teams" at the Olympics. Think of how many non-Americans were in the NBA pre-1992. As basketball becomes more global, the competition in world tournaments will become more competitive, and that can only be a good thing.
  • Options
    Iverson Rescues USA
    Team USA is back on the winning track. Barely. Allen Iverson's 3-pointer at the buzzer allowed the U.S. to escape with a 80-77 exhibition win over Germany.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    I maintain that these NBA guys simply do not care. Why aren't the likes of Shaq in the Olympics? Maybe they were asked but didn't want to do it? I'm surprised any of these guys even agree to--maybe it satisfies some sort of public relations clause in their contracts?

If NBA players truly are the best in the world then they should be mopping the floor with whatever team they play. But maybe, as others have hinted at, the NBA does NOT have the best players in the world anymore. I doubt that, as they certainly are the league that pays the most money, so that automatically should attract the best.

Like I said, it's far easier just to assume they don't care. Playing in the Olympics isn't going to afford them a new Ferrari-of-the-month, so why bother?
  • Options
    UndertakerUndertaker Posts: 5,200 ✭✭

<< <i>as they certainly are the league that pays the most money >>

Not always. Why do you think it took Arvydas Sabonis that long to go to the NBA? Or why do old NBA players play in Europe? A lot of guys who can't get anything more than the minimum in the NBA are better off in Europe.

Now, the problem with the US team is that it's all about ego's. Everyone wants the ball and everybody wants to shine. They have no clue about the international rules and don't even know their opponents. It took a buzzer beater to beat Germany, a team that absolutelt sucks. That's not something to be proud of after you got your behind handed to you by Italy. I think the US will be in for a rude awakening during the Olympics.
  • Options
    It's the lack of fundamentals that many of the NBAer's lack. Playing the 'triangle' offence (Jordan) or one on Five (Kobe) takes the other players out of the offence. Team work will always win out (seeimageetroit) over more talented, but lazy or incomplete players. Maybe there is some African team that the USA can use as a tune up before the Olympics (yawn) start.
    The first person in the PSA universe to complete the 1969 OPC
    Hockey set! Always looking to buy, trade or upgrade 1966 Topps to 1969 OPC.