Home Q & A Forum

Possible soultion...

RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
for the controversial issues with NGC coins not participating in PCGS Registry AND difficulty with NGC crossovers.

As a PCGS supporter and coin collector, I would like to have at least part of my collection in the PCGS Registry. I generally live by the "buy the coin, not the holder" principal, and while I frankly like the look of the PCGS holder better, I find myself buying more coins in NGC holders than I did a couple of years ago (why are there so many coins at shows in NGC holders and not PCGS?). This is taking me further away from my goal of participating in the PCGS Registry and forcing me to own coins in the less visually pleasing slab.

My proposed solution:
Why not allow NGC coins into PCGS holders at the NGC grade, but without the grade guarantee. Everyone wins, I think. PCGS gets more "Registry-quality" coins in its holders, collectors can "buy the coin" in the NGC holder and still play in what is clearly the best registry, PCGS gets a lot more submissions, and PCGS is off the hook for the grade guarantee.

Something like this might avert the scenario whereby the collector buys the coin in the NGC holder, tries to cross it fails, tries again, fails, cracks the coin out, coin gets slabbed at lower grade, etc. You know how frustrating this is to us collectors, and I am sure you get complaints about it all the time.

It would work like this:
1. Collector send in NGC-graded coin for crossover. There is a check-off box that will allow collector to decide fate of coin if it does not cross by current means.
2. NGC-graded coins goes through grading process. If it crosses, great! Coin is encapsulated in PCGS slab with same guarantee, as always.
3. If coin does not cross, coin either gets sent back as a DNC (as it currently does) or gets encapsulated by PCGS in a slab that designates the coin as an "NGC-graded coin" with a grade that PCGS did not agree upon and will not guarantee. The fate of the coin depends on which box the collector checks on the crossover form.
4. For the purpose of the Registry, the coin can be entered but the grade is discounted in some way that indicates the coin is not a "PCGS-graded" coin, perhaps a half grade deduction would be appropriate.

Please consider this (or alternatives) for me to get more of my coins in PCGS holders and in the Registry.

Thanks,

Robert

Comments

• homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

Hi Robert,

Just can't do it. NGC standards are a little looser than PCG's and allowing NGC coins into the PCGS Set Registry is not fair to collectors who only have PCGS coins.

David