Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"Problem" Eliasberg coin at ANR: problem or no problem?

RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
Link to ANR Lot 916: 1855-C G $1 EF-45 (raw)

This coin is pedigreed to the Eliasberg collection and further back to the Chapman brothers. ANR is offering it raw as a net 45 due to light cleaning. I expect that it will not slab or it would be slabbed. In the Elaisberg catalog, interestingly, there was no mention of cleaning and the coin was offered as an "obverse VF-30/reverse EF-40."

Would you buy a "problem" coin pedigreed to teh Eliasberg collection (and beyond back to 1901) and what percent of Trends (EF-45) would you pay?

Comments

• Options
    mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    To me, the Eliasberg pedigree is a bonus, but definitely not the deciding factor of my purchase. So what if I have a CLEANED 1855 charlotte mint gold 1$ with a mintage of 9,803. I still have an example of an 1855 Charlotte mint gold 1$ with a mintage of 9,803!

My point is it's still an awesome coin, whether someone's granny decided to give it a swipe with her dish towel or not.

mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Personally it looks like the "wiping" was a little more "vigorous" than a simple wipe. Also it looks to me like the rim is also damaged. I'm wondering if a mount has been removed from the coin.
  • Options
    ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    What bumped the grade up to EF-45? Pedigree? Scarce type? Charlotte mintmark? I would guess all of the above. If this was a type 1 or 3 Philadelphia gold dollar without a pedigree, it would be bodybagged by PCGS or NGC,
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file