Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will my new safe make my coins smelly?

I just got a new gun safe and would like to keep my coins in it, but it stinks! imageIts got fabric inside that I assume was treated with something, almost smells like formaldahyde(?) (like a new car maybe)

Anyway, I've tried to keep it open for a while, but I can't really leave it open since I have small kids. Do I need to worry about the smell "leeching" into the slabs, or any other adverse effects on the coins?

Thanks for any advice or info

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like cleaning residue. I'd air it out until the scent is gone and then put coins in it.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They glue the fabric or carpet in with contact cement.
    It's going to have that smell for a while.
    No clue what it can do to coins.

Larry

• Options
    You can leave it open! Just turn the handle to the closed position with the door open and lock it in place with your key! Then the door can't be closed and the kids are safe!....Ken
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You probably know this, but be sure to put selica gel or some other dissicant in there to keep the humidity from discoloring your coins (esp copper).
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    gun cases are for guns.............just a thought..............sell it and buy a metal safe without the lining and glue and other junk....or rent a safe deposit box...they are cheap enough, a little inconvenient, but cheap enough.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't put coins in a safe that has some kind of emissions coming from the safe itself or any objects that were in or currently are in the safe. Coins incased in slabs might themselves be okay if exposed to most gaseous substances but the surrounding plastic could be damaged in some way.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    I put my extra junk silver coins in a jar my mother used to keep spices in...and they always smell like cinnamon. I dont think the safe smell will hurt your coins...let it air out or put baking soda in to absorb the smell. I do think a gun safe is a safe place for coins...its not ment for only guns as other have said. Most of the coin dealers around here use and just take out the gun racks..they are very sturdy, and good safes. A pain to move though...
  • Options
    vega1vega1 Posts: 941
    Thanks for the responses everyone

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file