Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1988 $5 GOLD OLYMPIC COMMEMORATIVE

In 1989 my wife bought me a $5 Gold Olympic Commemorative Proof as a gift. I wsn't a coin collector at the time so I have no idea what it cost. These days I pay more attention to those kinds of things and am maintaining an inventory of my coins. She's convinced she paid "something like $400.00" for it. I checked the current price on PCGS website and the Red Book - they say it's in the vicinty of $130.00 for an MS67. She bought it at Andrews Air Force Base but I have no receipts. Now I'm trying to find out what these sold for brand new 15 years ago. Anybody know where I can find out?

Tks.
TERRY

Comments

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I had a hard time getting a $100 for NGC PF/MS69's a few months ago. mike
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds to me that the coin was purchased at a place that probably doesn't have the tightest of margins. Probably the AFB would be the best, maybe only place that could recall, in this case, their price.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The '88 gold commems are little more than melt. Very common. You won't get anything close to $130 for it.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    I just sold a 1988-W $5 PCGS PR69DCAM for $110 on the Bay of E; I bought it for $105 2 years ago, so the market is flat.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. But I regret that I apparently mis-stated my question, . . . . or the real question got lost in translation.

I'm not at all interested in selling this coin so I'm not trying to find out what I can get for it today. I just wanted if anyone knew how much these cost in 1988.

Maybe I can locate a very old issue of Coin World.

- Terry
    TERRY

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file