Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1951 Proof Jefferson - Guess the grade

As has been demonstrated before different lighting and camera angles can really make a coin look differently. The following photos show off the cameo contrast as much as possible:

The following images are of the same coin. These are at an angle which might be used to show off toning if the coin was toned.

Comments

• Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    66CAM

Added...OK, maybe DCAM
  • Options
    67cam
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Looks very nice but I think the only way to grade proofs such as these black/white cameos from pictures is to take a picture that shows the coin at such an angle that the flaws of the coin can be seen- hairlines specifically. mike
  • Options
    It's a 67Dcam
  • Options
    It's really hard to get grades from images on proofs. It does look like a DCAM to me though.image

It also looks like a very nice coin from the image.
  • Options
    This is an interesting Proof Jefferson nickel. It has been to the graders many times.

I bought it raw thinking it was a DCAM coin. The seller had it pegged at 65 DCAM. As 1951 is a very tough year for DCAM proof Jeffersons I figured I'd take a chance on it.

I sent it to PCGS who certified it as PR 65 Cameo. I was disappointed. I waited a few months then cracked it out and sent it along to NGC hoping for an Ultra Cameo grade. NGC body bagged the coin for altered surfaces image

Well I looked and looked and couldn't see any frost in the fields or any indication the frost was artificial. However I can't say I am an expert in detecting that condition. So I cracked it out again and waited a few more months. Then I sent it back to PCGS. This time they body bagged it for altered surfaces too! My, oh, my.

After letting it sit around for another month or two I decided this coin was out to get me. So I contacted the original seller who offered to buy it back at half what I paid for it. He got the coin back, proclaimed that it was a fine coin with nothing wrong with it. He dipped it and sent it to NGC. This time NGC agreed that the coin was fine and graded it PF 66 Cameo.

So in conclusion I would say this well traveled coin is boarderline 65/66 and boarderline Cameo/Deep Cameo. It also may or may not have altered surfaces. How is that for a precise grade? image
  • Options
    TonedCoinTraderTonedCoinTrader Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Carl,

Great post. I hate to hear the outcome, but I appreciate the story. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Carl

looking at the coin prior to reading your post i'd have said PR67CAM without reservation.

after reading your post, i would ask what led you to the conclusion that the "artificial surfaces" reference was about the frost??

looking at the pictures, i doubt it would DCAM because the reverse lettering doesn't seem to have sufficient frost and the obverse has enough haziness or lack of brilliance in the fields to hold it down. my hunch on the artificial surfaces is that the coin had been dipped, improperly rinsed and some residue was detected, perhaps only beginning to show after some time had elapsed. hence, PCGS didn't originally see what wasn't visible yet, NGC did when it became apparent and then PCGS also noticed it.

the original owner re-dipped the coin and removed what the services were seeing and the coin was holdered. hopefully he rinsed it properly this time.

al h.image
  • Options
    PCGS liked it at first. The coin didn't seem to have any dip residue nor did it look dipped to me. The coin didn't appear to change for the year I had it.

I have seen many coins in NGC and PCGS holders that had obvious dip residue and/or bad rinses and others that clearly had been dipped though there was no residue. This Jeff didn't look like it to me. So I assumed they meant artificial frost. But they could have seen something I didn't see. Also the original seller freely admitted to dipping before he submitted it so he may have dipped it in the first place.
  • Options
    66DC
    to live outside the law, you must be honest ---- bd
  • Options
    Oops, guess I'm a little late. I was right though
    to live outside the law, you must be honest ---- bd

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file