Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

VAM Question

I thought VAM numbers are unique numbers, what I mean is one VAM number per Coin, is this correct ?

Can a 1921P morgan be VAM 3C and 3G ??

Herb

edited to add "P"
Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    I think it might be different die states, but I don't know... there's a lot of VAM numbers like that for the '21-D's. Ask Rob Joyce, or wolf359, they could tell you for sure...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    The VAM numbers are assigned to different die marrages, strike charecteristics, etc. The numbers are used for each Year/MM. For instance you can have a 1878-P VAM 5 and a 1880-S VAM 5. Those are totally different coins with totally different VAM diaganostics. Some VAMs are famous enough that most collectors know what coin you are talking about when you just mention the VAM number, but most of the time you need to state the VAM Number with the Year/MM
    J'har
  • Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    Oh by the way, every Morgan & Peace Dollar has a VAM number.
    J'har
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    jhar

I know about different year/mmand VAM numbers ie"1878-P VAM 5 and a 1880-S VAM 5. Those are totally different coins with totally different VAM diaganostics"

My question is can a 1921 P morganBe a VAM 3C and VAM3G

Red Arrow VAM3G Pitted reverse...............Yellow arrow VAM3C Pitted reverse

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    I'm quoting Rob's web site:

VAm 3C/3G

This variety has pitting around the UN of UNITED. Additionally, the LL of DOLLAR is also pitted. Because of this find, VAM-3C and VAM-3G in the large VAM book were discovered to be the same die.
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    Thanx Jack,

Okay image......from now on I'm gonna read the book instead of just looking at the picture !!!

Herb
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    No issue here. Nice coin, BTW I love pitted reverses.
  • Options
    Speaking of VAMs, can anyone tell me if this one is signifigant enough to be listed? If so, what all is said about it?

It's a 1921-P morgan...

You can view the image here, but dialup beware, it's 1622x894, and 264 kB. I kept it like this so detail can be seen without pixelating the image and details.

The "O" in "OF" looks doubled, or struck over an "S" or something. The "F" looks doubled as well, but that may be a trick of lighting.
  • Options
    Don't know. The only think I could find was VAM-17, doubled Obverse and Reverse letters. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file