Home Sports Talk

Thank you, Red Sox Owners, you just got worse

Bye Bye Nomar

Comments

• This ESPN columnist disagrees.

Trade winners and losers
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• They made one of the better moves of the weekend.
  • It was a great move. Nomar was gone in 2 months now the have a ss locked up for a couple of years.

• welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to

Yankees Fans Say The Darndest Things

• << <i>Bye Bye Nomar >>

What's funny is that Red Sox fans were just about ready to murder Nomar in order to make a roster spot for A-Rod in February. Now they say they got ripped off. Maybe if they would have appreciated him more.......

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they made a good move, Nomah was gone at the end of the season anyway so why not get something in trade now?
  • <<Maybe if they would have appreciated him more>>

Yes, they sure treated him poorly. IMHO a great player who will be sorely missed by the Sox.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    The title of your thread is actually quite silly. If you follow baseball, you would know that Nomar was not going to resign with the Sox after this season, and, many people have speculated on his attitude towards the Sox being the reason he has missed so many games lately, and why he took so long to recover from his Achilles injury this spring. Given that fact, the Sox were faced with two months of Nomar (missing games left and right), and then nothing for him - or, getting a few decent players to shore up their defense and team speed. I hate to see him go, but it was the right move under the circumstances.
  • Yes, better to get something than nothing but I my point is that the Sox were stupid to tick him off, and and they would be better with a Nomar playing up to his potential but they settled for mediocracy.
  • Hmmm..., just got worse? They got a guy who goes out everyday and plays his butt off, is a very, very under-rated hitter (forget about this year, but take a look at his stats the last 3 seasons), and I know some of you are going to disagree with me on this one, but Cabrera is a waaaaaayyyy better SS defensively. I like the trade on all fronts, even Montreal's, as they got the minor leaguer they wanted all along as well and Cabrera is very much in the same situation as Nomar (no contract in 2 months), and he wasn't going to re-sign with the Spos!
    Jay
  • The 'Spos wanted Guzman or Pie, but they settled for Beltran and Harris. They didn't get the guy(s) they wanted, but they made out nicely.
  • <<forget about this year, but take a look at his stats the last 3 seasons>>

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5900

He is hitting like he did in 2000 but this time he only has 4 HR. What's up with that?

• << <i>http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5900

He is hitting like he did in 2000 but this time he only has 4 HR. What's up with that? >>

He tinkered with his mechanics, trying to become more of a power hitter to help "replace" Vlad's spot in the lineup. While it turned out to be detrimental to the team, that's the kind of guy he is. He'll do whatever he thinks he needs to help the team out. An excellent team player.

But if you make notice to the way he hit in the last half of July, you'll see he's starting to get back on track. Eight doubles since the 21st, and that's his offensive "specialty," doubles.
  • I guess the fans in Chicago will call him Nomar instead of Nomah...maybe thats what hissed him off in Boston.

Anyway, looks like his debut in Cubbies blue pinstripes, which does take some getting used to, was a rousing success today in his first game in the NL against the hapless Phillies.

My congratulations to all you Cubs fans who may be on the verge of kicking butt with that revamped lineup; I felt really bad for you after the collapse against the Marlins last year and think it would be good for baseball to see them in a World Series.

Bye Bye Billy Goat BS!