Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cleaned coins

What are the tell-tale signs a coin has been cleaned? Is it easy to tell? What does whizzed mean?

Comments

• Options
    TonedCoinTraderTonedCoinTrader Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭
    Whizzed means some one peed on the coin

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    The best way to tell cleaned coins is to look at a lot of cleaned coins. Seriously, seek out ANACS holdered coins at shows that have "Cleaned" remarks. The easiest sign is fine scratches along the surface of the coin. Easily visible with a loupe, but as you see more cleaned coins it becomes quickly apparent without a loupe. The scratches usually run very consistently parallel to one another and looks as if someone took very fine sand paper and rubbed the coin.

Cleaning can also be noticed simply from the dull discoloration of the coin. Too many dips will get you a bag for cleaning, even though there are no obvious abrasion marks.

Whizzing is an attempt to create the appearance of luster on a coin. Usually done on coins grading XF or better. The process involves microscopic brush marks from some sort of polisher to give the coin a little flash. As with cleaning, seek out coins labeled "whizzed" and ask to view them when you are at shows or at a Dealer's shop.

I should also mention that one of the most common types of cleaning involves cleaning and toning together. In order to conceal the scratches from a cleaning, people will often try to tone the coin a little darker to conceal the marks. On copper coins, recoloring is sometimes used to hide the cleaning or a scratch on the surface.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    I hate to think of what might have happened to a coin with chocolate brown toning.
  • Options

Le cleaned.
  • Options
    ouch!
    "You must love soldiers in order to understand them, and understand them in order to lead them."
    -Henri Turenne

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whizzed! Might have been better if it was peed on!

Ken
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    image FAW

Good topic, I can detect polished and whizzed coins, Can anyone show overdipped coins ??

those are the coins that are tuff for me to detect.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Why would anyone do this to a coin? It ruins it more than it makes it better.
    "You must love soldiers in order to understand them, and understand them in order to lead them."
    -Henri Turenne

• Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    ignorance to what is considered proper by todays standards..... Many years ago, cleaning coins was acceptable. Many many bust halves were cleaned in the past....good for us folks holding uncleaned originals, but bad b/c they are expensive and there are tons or ruined coins.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    Ignorance is not bliss
    -Henri Turenne

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ignorance is not bliss >>

No, its a b%^ch!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file