Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay Seller Question

Are the Morgans this seller is selling as advertised? .eBay Link The reason I'm asking is he gets far less for his auctioned coins than he claims they are worth. Wouldn't it be to his benifit to register them and then sell them? Looking at the pictures they look like a bargin for the person buying them. Would anyone here recommend buying his coins or is tis to good to be true? Just trying to learn the ropes without being taken to the cleaners. He has many for sale every week

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>he gets far less for his auctioned coins than he claims they are worth. >>

You answered your own question. No, they are not as advertised.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards!

First, that coin isn't anywhere near prooflike, so definitely not near deep mirror prooflike. Also, figure on eBay, when something is worth a lot and not slabbed, there's a reason--either it's damaged, fake, or way overgraded.

With the prices this guy quotes, he has no excuse to not slab them, as he gets fractions of what they should be worth in the grade he claims them to be.

Basically, my advice is to stick to PCGS, NGC, and ANACS slabbed coins on eBay unless the item is inexpensive and you are willing to take a risk, or you really feel comfortable with what you're doing, knowing you could be losing a lot of money. eBay is a place where you have to be really careful... stick around here and ask lots of questions--you'll know what to look for quickly.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Just trying to learn the ropes without being taken to the cleaners.

You said it -- stay away from that cleaned, altered, polished and photoshopped junk. Look at this one:

Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I would never buy from this seller because he or she can't decide what size font and color to use. The auction text gave me headache.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    This Indian purportedly has "NEVER BEEN CLEANED OR DIPPED." Well if not, what in the hell happened to it? (Rhetorical question, folks.)

Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Options
    Thanks for the input! Like the saying goes "If it's to good to be true it probably is".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file