Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Question.....

I've been holding a 1889CC Morgan in XF 45 for about 8 years. The only problem is, it
resides in an ACG holder. If you owned this and wanted to sell it, would you crack the holder
or sell it as is? I've never removed a coin from a slab, and I've said goodbye to all of my other
ACG coins. As this one seems to be a legit 45, I'm reluctant to crack it and damage the coin.
What would you do if it was yours?
aknow

Looking for uncirculated Indian Heads and PRS electric guitars

Comments

• Options
    I'd send it to PCGS or NGC before selling. Probally crack and submit. If you have any worries about cleaning or anything, then I'd send it either to ANACS or SEGS...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    aknowaknow Posts: 115
    Thank you, George
    aknow

• Options
    definitely crack it out and send to pcgs or ngc. just be careful with the cracking out part or give it to a dealer and pay them for their services. they are probably experts doing this

David
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post a pic off it up here, and get comments from the board.

Without seeing the coin, I wouldnt try to guess where it should go to get holdered, but if nice, it should go to the top tier services for maximum money. Dont sell it in the ACG holder, and dont sell it RAW, or you will lose out on many potential buyers.

jim
  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    If it were mine, it would be in my next submission to PCGS. If it were mine, I'd crack it out myself and submit raw. That is what I would do, if it were mine. image
    Wayne
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would NOT send it to SEGS... if it's got damage, send it to ANACS or NCS.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    I wonder what Wayne would do if it was his?

Sorry...couldn't resist the comment.image
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with everyone else here: crack that puppy open and send it to PCGS or NGC. I like the idea of posting a photo here and getting some opinions of whether it's cleaned or not. I would not try and sell it in a ACG slab.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd also post pics to make sure it's a legit coin image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    I would definately crack it out and send it to PCGS if you think it has no "problems".

Good to see you here Dr. Steve image

• Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    imageimageimageimage
    Wayne
  • Options
    aknowaknow Posts: 115
    Thank you very much for the comments.
    I will post a pic of the Morgan as soon as my daughter
    gets home with my camera.
    Much Appreciated
    Dr. Steveimage
    aknow

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Dr. Steve,

It's way more marketable in a PCGS or NGC holder (particularly PCGS). If you really think it'll merit the grade, I think you should crack it and send it in to PCGS. I usually use a hammer.

David
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Hey Wayne...what would you do with it if it was yours? heh hehimage
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file