Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any benefit to collecting circulated US gold?

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
Does anyone have any thoughts on collecting circulated US gold? I find that the circulated coins are a little beat up, and it seems to be hard to find certified pieces. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Nah, hold out for only "investment grade" MS-65's or better.

Tomimage
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I would only collect MS-65 and higher Dahlonega and Charlotte gold. There are plenty of pieces to go around and no one would even look at a circulated one.

Just kidding. No, circulated gold is very collectable. I have several pieces.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    Baley nothing wrong with those coins.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Yes. If you have to make a choice between getting, say, a half-dozen AU or lower gold pieces, or one spectacular MS coin, I would step up to the single MS coin. I think you'll find you appreciate the gems much more, and, generally speaking, the better the grade the more chance it will appreciate (but this is not a universal maxim).

But if you decide to go the XF or AU route, nothing wrong with that. Since joining this forum last year I've obtained a greater appreciation for silver and copper coins, but nothing compares to the magic of collecting gold coins, be they old or modern.
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    i wouldnt buy anything under XF unless it was hard to find and rare then maybe VF> but nothing below that

Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Longacre,

Yes, there are several reasons to buy circulated coins of any type. The number one reason is that you can touch them. Gold coins have value unrelated to it's numismatic value - you buy a coin cheap and the downside is minimal.
    Wondo

• Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Any benefit to collecting circulated US gold? >>

Absolutely, if you like the coins.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over 80% of my collection is "circulated US gold." I would answer a resounding yes! Certified pieces of rare date gold are easier to find than uncirculated, widely collected, and considerably more affordable.
  • Options
    aem4162aem4162 Posts: 421
    buy them because they're pretty and they're been around
    anita...ana #r-217183...coin collecting noob
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And one more thing...the circulated coins have character. Many of the pre-Civil War southern mint gold coins were literally buried in the owner's yard during the War (they did not trust the banks). Sometimes the owner never made it back and the coins surfaced years or generations later.

You don't have stories like that about MS Saints. They sat in bags in teh Mint or in Europe before being discovered. Boring!
  • Options
    I own a 1982 tenth of an once gold canadian piece and a 2002 tenth of an once american gold piece graded MS-69 by NGC. But im gonna sell them, some time in the future i'll probably buy old gold coins though.
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Any benefit to collecting circulated US gold? >>

Longacre: My answer to the above question is yes, and my evidence is offered in the 2 AU coins pictured below: image

1893-CC PCGS AU-58 $20 Gold Coronet Liberty Double Eagle
    imageimage

1922 AU $20 Saint Gaudens
    imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file