Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Call Me Stupid

Went to my first auction to buy coins today. Read the ad for the auction in a weekly auction newsletter.

Said it had a 1/2 dollar California Gold Piece and Morgans in "Great Cond" as well as some other interesting unknowns.

So I drove the 2 hours to the auction, to find the Gold Piece was fake and that the Morgans were at best in AU. No key dates, anywhere.

Not having anything better to do, I decided to stick around and see if I could get anything for a bargain.

Early on I picked up a 1920 Buffalo in "AU" which I believe was cleaned, but had a full horn. I snagged it for $6.

Then, after watching all of the Morgans go for retail prices, they moved into the Peace Dollars. Now, I had went through EVERY item in the auction and had made notes, beforehand.

They also gave us a list of all the coin auctions and their numbers and descripions. Well, after a few common date Peace Dollars, they moved onto a "Peace Dollar 1921."

Had I missed something? I frantically checked my notes, saw no 1921 Peace Dollar and scrambled to get a bid in. The bids moved up past $20, then they brought the coin around, to show us the date. Yup, definately 1921.

So, after having realized what was at stake, another bidder and myself got into a little war and drove the price up to $40, I won it at $41. Big Score!

Then they brought me the coin. F***, a 1921 MORGAN. There was nothing I could do, the coins were as is. When they brought the coin around, the kid had his big fat thumb over the face and in the heat of the moment, desperate to get a bid in, I focused solely on the date and not on the type.

So, I payed $41 for a VF 1921 Morgan Dollar. What a mistake! But, instead of trying to get some of my money back, it's now my official pocket piece to remind me not to do stupid stuff like that again.

Really, no worries though. Later in the day, I won $180 playing Craps, so I don't feel TOO bad.

CD
to live outside the law, you must be honest ---- bd

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file