Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grading Opinions on the Franky

19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
I would appreciate your grading opinions on this Franklin Half I picked up today.

imageimage

Thanks in Advance......

Edited to Add: This is not an FBL. The color is due to Autocorrect on the photo editor. The coin is a real nice white......
I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• Options
    maybe a 64. is it a fbl? hard to tell on the comp
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    ms62 not full bell lines from what I can tell on the picture. mike
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I'm also thinking MS64, maybe MS65 since it appears to have good luster. Doesn't look to be FBL, though.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    MS64/63 - not bad for a 49S image

Edited upon looking at the reverse - looks like some roll marks on the reverse might knock it down a point.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    My best guess based on the picture would be 64.
  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    I just purchased a 1949-S Franklin half the other day. Mine has a few more nicks and scuff marks than yours. I purchased it as MS-63. I like yours better. Can't post pictures yet. Still working on that. image
    Wayne
  • Options
    TonedCoinTraderTonedCoinTrader Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭
    I believe 64 also.

Scott

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ms-64 if the photo's are accurate and not hiding additional marks or impaired luster.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    There is a story behind my 49-S. Back in about '74, I was dealing with this guy in Mt. View California quite a bit. I guess I was a young naive collector that was in a hurry to complete my franky set. He had a 49-S that looked really good for $50. I picked it up and put it in the bank as one of my "special" coins. Earlier this year I sent that 49-S into PCGS for grading and they body bagged for excessive cleaning! YIKES! My jewel turned out to be cut glass! image A close inspection showed some fine cleaning lines so it was pointless to get it reviewed. image
    This morning I went out looking for Peace Dollars and good jeffies. I found a PCSG graded MS-62 1934 Peace that the ask was $150. I offered $135 and while the clerk was checking the offer, I spotted the 49-S franky. The $135 offer was turned down because the 34 was "closer to a 63 than a 62" (WTF?) so I pushed it back and asked to see the 49-S franky. No cleaning marks, good luster, no serious nicks and the price was right so I bagged it! image
    Ain't it funny how you start out looking for one thing and end up with something totally different? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file