Home Q & A Forum
Options

Proof Strikes Not Recognized by PCGS

Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
David;

PCGS does not recognize and therefore will not grade some of the 20th Century Proof Strikes graded by NGC and ANACS. I am speaking of the 1921 Peace Dollar Satin Finish Proof and the 1907 Hi-Relief Double Eagle Proof. Why is that? The 1921 Satin Finish Proof Peace Dollar looks quite convincing.

Thanks very much.

Ed

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

We have been kicking this dog around the block for almost 20 years. We aren't convinced these coins are truly proofs. Personally, I flat out don't believe they are proofs.

On a somewhat related note, there is documentation that there are high relief matte proofs of both the 1921 and 1922 Peace dollars. We have graded a few of the 1922. They are spectacular coins in my mind...the only high reliefs from 1922...and extremely rare. I must tell you that in my 40 plus years in the coin bmarket I have never seen a matte proof 1921. I have seen several supposed matte proofs that were actually regular business strikes that had been pickled. There is some possibility that 1921s do not exist. that would make the 1922s even more spectacular.

Thanks,

David