Home U.S. Coin Forum

Wonderful Literary Surprise

astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
Below is a short story that I sent to E-sylum regarding an unexpected surprise. Kind and generous souls do exist in the hobby.

The end of the day was the same as most others. After a warm greeting from my kids following work, I noticed a small box with a familiar label. "How nice," I thought, "a package from Charlie Davis." I just purchased a copy of Musante's book on the medallic work of Bolen, so I was anticipating a package and reasoned that Charlie just sent it very quickly.

After dinner and time with the kids, I sat down for a quiet read. Much to my surprise, the book was not the anticipated one on Bolen's work, but rather a copy Gilboy's book on Pillar coinage, "The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America. Spanish American Pillar Coinage 1732 to 1772," and the book was number 4 of 500. This was indeed a special book, albeit not my special book. Naturally, I though Charlie made a rare shipping error. Now, it's not that I naturally assume Charlie makes mistakes; quite the opposite. I could not, however, think of any other reason why I would have received this wonderful book.

I sent Charlie a short email telling him of the book and asking if I can forward the book to its awaiting new owner. A little while later, Charlie returns my message indicating that the book was a gift for me and he was asked to send it without any paperwork included. I was speechless.

Since the topic of the book is rather focused and concerns an area in which I am attempting to educate myself, it is a timely and much appreciated gift. My literary benefactor remains unknown, but is obviously someone who appreciates fine numismatic literature. If the kind person who sent me this wonderful gift is reading this passage, please know that the book will have great use in research and education and will be a valued addition to my library. Thank you so very much!

Lane
Numismatist Ordinaire
See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file