Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What specific coins in your opinion are cheap yet still possibly investment material?

Got any ideas? My dad would like to know.image
Scott Hopkins
-YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!

Comments

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Man, in this market.... any better date looks good. Let's just hope the bottom doesnt drop out anytime soon.

David
  • Options
    Imho, if your dad like moderns, how about the silver proof sets. At under a million each year, they just might continue to appreciate thru the years. Who knows how many sets are getting broken up for slabs, albums, etc.

The 1999 silver proof set is selling for about $230 on Ebay. (original U.S. Mint selling price: $32.00)

2000 year set: $40.00
    2001 year set: $100.00
    2002 year set: $55.00
    2003 year set: $39.00
    2004 year set: ?? (New 11 coin set might take off, who knows)
    Lightside
  • Options
    A second thought, if your looking for an investment.

I hoarded away the U.S. Mint State quarter Rolls. A U.S. Mint wrapper P+D rolls. U.S. Mint website price:

$32.00+five bucks shipping (any amount).

Just saw a 2001 R.I. U.S. Mint P+D roll set sell on Ebay for $110.00 (triple your money in three years, not bad.)

Than a 2001 N.Y state quarter roll (U.S. Mint wrapper) sell for $86.00 .

Not a bad investment if you have the time.
    Lightside
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Cheap and investment? I don't think those two go hand in hand. In any case, it's all about the demand. Find something that people are beginning to get interested in and ride the wave. And sell before it crashes.
  • Options
    Some of the modern commemoratives have done well. My picks for future monetery appreciation are:

1. 1995-D Cycling Silver dollar in MS69

2. 1996-D Rowing Silver dollar in MS69

3. 1996-D High Jump Silver Dollar in MS69

4. 1996-S Swimming Half Dollar in MS69

5. 1999-W Washington Gold $5 in MS69
  • Options
    lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    I wouldn't recommend investing in coins. If you want to invest, buy bullion or stocks. I think there is too much "investment" hype for coins right now anyway, someday soon the bubble will burst.
    image"Darkside" gold
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    There are always "niches", and in coins I would look at the mintages as compared to the grades and percentages of those coins slabbed, then study the grades given, and find where the least coins would meet the greatest market demand. It can be done. Do your homework.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1996-W Smithsonian $5 gold commem in UNC. Nearly as rare as the Jackie Robinson $5 Gold in UNC but sells for only a fraction of its price. The mintage figures in the 2005 Red Book appear to be wrong. I believe they have the proof and unc. mintages reversed. Can anyone confirm the actual mintages?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Now there is someone who is doing his homework. image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with buying "cheap" coins as an investment is that anything worth buying will be, considering the amount to be spent, extremely time consuming. So it makes no sense as a pure investment. You need to really enjoy the hunt.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The problem with buying "cheap" coins as an investment is that anything worth buying will be, considering the amount to be spent, extremely time consuming. So it makes no sense as a pure investment. You need to really enjoy the hunt. >>

Tell me about it.

%age gains can be pretty neat though.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    A "cheap" coin now might turn out to be very popular and valuable many years from now! For example, a century ago then-current Proof coins (including Proof gold!) were valued at very little over face value. B. Max Mehl (a prominent dealer in the first half of the century) once spent a Proof Barber half because the coin then had little numismatic value, and all the halves he had on him were "collector's coins."
    image"Darkside" gold
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    proof 64 to proof 66 lib nicks and three cent nicks

with great eye appeal and strongly cameoed and/or nicely colored

proof 64 coins need to be high end

colored proof 65 and 66 red brown and brown indian head cents and two cent pieces

michael
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    In general, I would look at semi-key date coins in whatever grade just missed the big jump. If you have the time to spend pouring over pop reports, it should be pretty clear what is undervalued. From an investor's standpoint, the pop reports couldn't be studied too much.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    be cognisant of any return should any return be needed before you get back (u aint takin it witcha) or
    if any other need arise you should need to assign a close proximate to it's liquidity. (d-word,b-word,etc)
    coins can put people in more than mortages,loans,payables,etc all combined...(things can happen)
    prudence says enjoy, yet know your out and out-look....prospectus,etc..
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, not cheap-but the 1870-S half dime that just went fot $600,000 + is cheap compared to things like 1913 Liberty nickels and 1804 dollars IMO-it's UNIQUE and needed for a complete set of these coins. More importantly, it's not a "fantasy" coin like the aforementioned.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file