Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Weak vs. Soft Strike Question??

ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
What would you consider the difference between a weak strike & a coin that has a 'soft' area?

Is the term 'weak' used in conjunction with an overall appearance, while a 'soft' strike or area only purtains to an area of the coin?

Can a Morgan have weak breastfeathers on the rev., or weak hair above the ear on the obv. & still have what is considered a strong strike?

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the terms are synonymous. A weak strike happens when the metal doesn't flow all the way into the die--usually, the weak spots are not just where the relief is highest, but also where on the opposite side, there is high relief, meaning the strike must be very strong for both sides to be full.

That said, coins with weak strikes are weak "in order." Basically, you'll have areas that are first to go, then second, and so on. So for an area that is not commonly weak (soft) to be weak, everything that is more commonly weak will, too, be weak.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually when someone calls something a weak strike it is referring to coins struck
    by dies under too little pressure (spacing between dies too great). Usually nothing
    will be well struck but it's possible for various portions of the design to recieve a fair
    strike. Low design details can fill up first and be fairly crisp.

The term can be used to describe other problems with strike such as worn dies (no
    well struck areas) or dies which struck the coin when the surfaces weren't parallel
    (one side of coin may be well struck), or even to describe poorly hubbed dies (any part
    of coin may be well struck).

The term is probably best used for low pressure strikes.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the later Morgans (1900-1904) have what appear to be weak strikes, but the dies were changed in that the eagle's breast appear mushy due to a slight design change, not necessarily a weak strike. I wonder if this has happened in any other series...
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Specifically, I was referring to the area above the ear.

I mentioned to the seller of a Morgan that it looked like the coin had a weak strike because of the lack of detail in the hair above the ear.
    I was told it was not a weak strike but that rather the coin was soft in that area!??image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file