Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Jester's Challenge #236

Welcome to Jester's Challenge, an interactive history lesson.

It is my hope that this series will provide us with much entertainment, knowledge, and friendship, through the active participation of as many people as possible. Please tell us what you know of this coin, or anything related to it. Thank you all!

Here's selection number 236:

imageimageimage
.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Comments

• farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭

I like it!
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. Looks like a Britannia ripoff.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • And even here Sail Ship-- BRAVO, Mike!image
    N. N.
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Thanks folks! (You know, Nick, I'm doing this round of Challenges for yours and Wayne's benefit!:coolimage.

I really like this Hard Times Token. The obverse is not only beautiful and well-balanced, but to me represents the original American spirit of entrepreneurship and pioneering. Can anyone name all the different things pictured? I can see a ship, representing trade, as well as the medical caduses, representing health and perhaps medical advances, and also the ever-present cornucopia of fresh produce, representing a rich agricultural bounty. Also, the spinning wheel represents the textile industry. Of course, there's the "Britannia" or Lady Liberty with her staff and cap and wreath, representing peace, liberty and abundance. What is the object on the lower left at her feet (not the bundle of wheat, but to the left of it)?

Someone please tell me that the H is the Heaton mintmark! Wybrit, would that make you a bit happier about the purloined Britannia??? image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    The object on the extreme left looks like a shuttlec**k to me - used in weaving.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm