Options

Poor mike tyson..

pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
got his a$$ beat due to a bum knee..
·p_A·

Comments

• Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    GOt his A$$ beat because he is a washed up bum.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That "twisted knee" was just a lame excuse. Many boxers after a bad loss come up with some kind of excuse for losing. The fact is that Tyson is cooked, done - stick a fork in 'em.
  • Options
    KOBEcollectorKOBEcollector Posts: 3,873 ✭✭
    Anyone that watched the fight knows the knee had nothing to do with the outcome
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    doubt he will get the other fights he needed to have
    soon to pay off his 40 million dollars in debt.....

poor mike.

literally.
    imageimage
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea that bull about the knee is a lame excuse for him getting his balls kicked in. If Iron Mike gets another fight will anybody even be interested?
  • Options
    How the heck does someone get themself 40 million bucks in debt?image
    Culpepper to ?, only God knows at this point!
  • Options
    BEING A RETARD and excepting people for friends that want to break it off in your a$$!!
  • Options

<< <i>How the heck does someone get themself 40 million bucks in debt?image >>

they keep taking advantage
    of all the creditors that were willing to
    loan him money

and all the people who he had "working"
    for him that were stealing him blind.
    (you notice that Don King is not bankrupt!)

imageimage
  • Options
    Exactly.....Don King is one of the biggest SCUMBAGS out there.
  • Options
    The above two posts come as close to the truth as you can imagine......

Bound by non-disclosure issues , I can absolutely agree that someone with a lot of electrostatic hair never lost......

All that said, does it excuse the excesses, which admittedly were spurred on by his various "handlers" to help keep him under control, which in itself was a full-time job? Things like white tigers living in the House in Nevada which were fed daily supplies of just killed horses for the meat....money for luxuries and baubles which no advisor warned against purchase....no independent accounting of his purses until the damage was done.

Yes, only in America.......
  • Options
    Here in Louisville, it was reported that he had a second hotel room rented for his eight pigeons. That's how one becomes bankrupt.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    I would like to see him fight again. Let him make a few more paydays for his pathetic self and debtors.. I won't be buying a ticket or PPV . I just want to see that he gets the snot beat out of him a few more times.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    Iron Mike Tyson will definitely be fighting again. He'll fight until he's so brain damaged that the boxing commissions take away his license. Then he'll windup fighting overseas probably in some one-hundred seat arena in Thailand on the undercard before the rooster fights.
  • Options
    You know STEVEK you are probably right about ending up overseas somewhere. That is really funny actually. But in all seriousness it is kind of sad to think how bad Tyson did himself, I meen he has been a tuff guy jerk at times but I also think he probably just never had anybody other than his first trainer care about him and that really is where he got hurt, trusting people that he wanted to have as friends.....where are they now...sad but true. As far as the ridiculas expenses he acrued over things like the white tigers and silly a$$ stuff there is an old saying.....a fool and his money are soon parted......
  • Options
    perkdog - Yes, I understand what you're saying about Tyson. Man, he was good though in his prime. It's funny - there's the old saying about these big purses with boxing matches and that for say one million bucks you'd get in the ring and fight. Tyson is the only boxer that I used to say that even for a million bucks, I wouldn't get in the ring with him. He was absolutely frightening even as a viewer on TV. Heavyweight fighters like Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Holmes, Holyfield and the recent champions at least had some civility about them. What the he** - you could get in the ring, dance away from them for awhile, then get knocked out and collect a million. But with Tyson - he'd punish you first and then try to kill you. If you remember, he was even likable at first. He understood boxing history and respected it. Somewhere along the way, he fell off the deep end, and he's still falling.
  • Options
    Jonesy. I just want to clarify about your statement about the second hotel room for the pigeons. First of all it was a suite that he was staying in and he had the pigeons in one of the suites rooms. Secondly, he did not pay anything for this suite or any other expenses while he was in town as it was paid for by Straight Out Promotions who put on the fight.

I am not making any excuses for Tyson, but he did tear ligaments in his knee in the first round. I was there (had seats where I could lean over and touch the ring) and saw when it happened and even made a comment about it to my father-in-law who is a boxing trainer and had fighters on the undercard. Tyson looked impressive in the first round as he was close to knocking Williams out when the injury occured. That type of injury very easily turned that fight around as he was hitting Williams with some good shots but the power was not there as he could not push off with the injury to the left knee. He could not roll the hook over for power as well as his head movement stopped after the injury.

I had the pleasure of watching Tyson train several times up close and personal before the fight as he trained in my father-in-laws boxing gym the week prior to the fight. He was very gracious and nothing what I expected as I talked with him many times while he was there.

It will take some time, but Tyson will be back as I believe the fight would have turned out differently if not for the injury. Danny Williams said he would give Tyson a rematch in his post fight press conference, but he would be cazy if he did as he has everything to lose if he lost to Tyson in a rematch.

Congratulations to Danny Williams and good luck to Mike Tyson on a successful recovery from knee surgery.

Todd
  • Options

<< <i>Here in Louisville, it was reported that he had a second hotel room rented for his eight pigeons. >>

you don't expect him to sleep in the SAME room with his pigeons do you?

imageimage
  • Options
    Todd, You are right. I guess I worded it wrong. I would have loved to have been there myself. I love boxing. Mike Tyson is the most aggressive fighters of all times!!! image
  • Options
    KOBEcollectorKOBEcollector Posts: 3,873 ✭✭
    If Tyson dosen't knock out his opponent within 3-4 rounds his chances of winning the fight drop dramatically

The guy just dosen't have the stamina or the ability to take much punishment anymore.

P.S While were on the subject of Mike Tyson . What great heavyweight has Tyson ever beat ? He beat a washed up Holmes and Spinks who had no business even being in the heavyweight division. Against his toughest opponents he was beat quite easily ( Lewis,Holyfield )
  • Options
    What a waisted life and talent!
  • Options
    Tyson is one of the most overrated fighters of all time. He never beat any good fighters and lost to some average or past there prime fighters. He was fun to watch in his early years, cause if you looked away for a second you might miss a devastating uppercut/knockout. He maybe could have been one of the greats, but his lack of improving with age and beating someone good escaped him.
    Collect vintage basketball and baseball,graded rookies allsports, Robin Yount,Brewers,Bucks,Packers
    Putting together a set of 61 Fleer Basketball PSA 7 or better.
    Trade references: T,Raf12,Coach Vinny,Iceman,McDee2,Lantz,JSA
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>What a waisted life and talent! >>

wasted....

and I could not agree more.
    it is very sad how much potential
    he had and how he piissssseed it away!

imageimage
  • Options
    Comparing boxing champions who never fought against each other can be very difficult. Of course knowing for sure who would win is impossible. I've been watching boxing since Ali in his prime, mid-60s. My opinion is that Tyson at his best, would have beaten any other heavyweight at his best including Frazier, Holmes, Lewis, Holyfield and all others, except for Mohammed Ali and George Foreman. True that Tyson fought a lot of bums but every heavyweight champion fights a lot of bums during their careers. In his prime, Tyson destroyed everything put in front of him and he never ducked anybody- that's all you can ask for. Not his fault that a lot of them were tomato cans.
  • Options
  • Options
    Steve k
    I respect your opinion and agree that in his prime he could maybe have beaten all the fighters you listed.
    You are correct that all champs fought lesser talents. But Lewis and Holyfield were in his same era. Holyfield is a little older and Lewis is about the same age. The true barometer of a boxing champ is how he comes back after he has been beaten. Tyson was a bully type like Liston, once he was KO'ed by Douglas, he never beat another fighter that wasn't intimidated by his prefight posturing. The legacy of Ali, Holyfield, Lewis (Joe and Lennox), Leonard, Frazier, and to a lesser degree Foreman and De La Hoya was that they still beat good competition after being beaten.

To put any athlete's career in perspective one must look at the body of work. To say "in his prime" is myopic. Fred Lynn, Roger Maris, Ron Guidry, Jose Canseco, and others were as good or better than any other players "in their prime", but none of them is going to the Hall of Fame or in the discussion of the greatest players of alltime in their sport.

On a sidenote-Because boxing is about styles, IMHO Holmes (who I don't feel was a great champion, and Tyson beat-geez I thought he killed him with that shot!) would have been a tough matchup for Tyson in his prime because of his length, jabbing precision and ability to go deep into a fight.

Just my 2 cents.
    Collect vintage basketball and baseball,graded rookies allsports, Robin Yount,Brewers,Bucks,Packers
    Putting together a set of 61 Fleer Basketball PSA 7 or better.
    Trade references: T,Raf12,Coach Vinny,Iceman,McDee2,Lantz,JSA
  • Options
    jamesy - I completely understand your points. All the boxing points are definitely good ones. I'll admit the Holmes-Tyson "in their prime" fight was a tough call for me. Certainly if Holmes could have stayed away from him for 7 or 8 rounds, Holmes would have had a good chance.

You're right in that "in their prime" was intended to be myopic. To me, a boxing "career" is really not as important as it is in baseball.

Tyson really is such an enigma. I watched that Tyson - Douglas fight live on TV and still find it hard to believe. But boxing has become so pathetic and corrupt that I hardly even follow it anymore. With all the "championship" belts these days, who the heck hardly knows who is really the current champion - it's rediculous. That being said, a "legitimate" heavyweight championship fight is still one of the most interesting and exciting events in sports.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    wow.. i made one sarcastic post 5 days ago and the thread is still alive.. i think thats a record..

tyson -vs- butterbean
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>tyson -vs- butterbean >>

well there would certainly be a LOT more for Tyson to knaw on during the fight....

imageimage
  • Options
    Happy 23rd anniversary losing to Buster Douglas.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Happy 23rd anniversary losing to Buster Douglas. >>

Man, I remember being out at a local pub having dinner and watching that fight! Can't believe it is that long ago.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Happy 23rd anniversary losing to Buster Douglas. >>

Man, I remember being out at a local pub having dinner and watching that fight! Can't believe it is that long ago. >>

I also remember how much of a bag of $hit Douglas looked like when he took a fall against Holyfield then retired after the big payday.
  • Options
    Happy birthday Mike!
  • Options
    Happy 24th anniversary losing to Buster Douglas.
  • Options
    Happy birthday Mike!
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>wow.. i made one sarcastic post 5 days ago and the thread is still alive.. i think thats a record..

tyson -vs- butterbean >>

Add ten years to the total.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2019 7:41PM

I vote 2 & 3!

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tyson is washed up. His next opponent has already started training....

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Tyson is washed up. His next opponent has already started training....

He never had the foot work to box with this little guy! :)

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's become pretty popular now as a one man show/entertainer. Overrated as a boxer (though his decimation of Michael Spinks in 91 seconds was a classic) but I give him credit for reinventing himself. When he was at his peak, he beat most guys even before the opening bell.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

I remember in the late 80's, i wanted to see a Tyson vs Foreman match, but Tyson wouldnt fight him.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

I always liked him when he first started out smashing people but, Don King, Robin Givens happened and he went off the rails. He was a complete losing all that money but looks like he smartened up and is making some money again. I’m rooting for the guy I guess

• Options

I would comment further in this thread, but since I expressed my viewpoints over 15 years ago in this thread, I think the statute of limitations or whatever it's called, has expired and thus I am no longer allowed to do so.

• Options

@stevek said:
    I would comment further in this thread, but since I expressed my viewpoints over 15 years ago in this thread, I think the statute of limitations or whatever it's called, has expired and thus I am no longer allowed to do so.

I’m actually surprised I didn’t get slapped by the mods over some of my comments but agreed the statue of limitations is well past I think 😅

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

His cartoon is funny, Mike Tyson Mysteries. Got a good sense of humor in him for sure.

• Options

I just wish he would have had to fight Ali. Ali would have taken him to school!

• Options

@DrBuster said:
    His cartoon is funny, Mike Tyson Mysteries. Got a good sense of humor in him for sure.

Tyson has been on at least one roast, on the dais. I forget which roast it was. It's on Youtube.

Tyson took some brutal shots from some of the comedians, but he laughed harder at it than anyone. Took it in stride. In his younger days, he would have viciously attacked the speaker for saying stuff like that about him.

• Options

@stevek said:

@DrBuster said:

Tyson has been on at least one roast, on the dais. I forget which roast it was. It's on Youtube.

Tyson took some brutal shots from some of the comedians, but he laughed harder at it than anyone. Took it in stride. In his younger days, he would have viciously attacked the speaker for saying stuff like that about him.

Yep, is it Maturity or is he too old and tired to get nasty over small stuff? I find at 49 my explosive temper is a shell of its former self, I often go back and forth with thinking I’m more mature while other times I deep down think sometimes I don’t have the energy to flip out 😂

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2019 1:44PM

i posted this in another thread a while back

i find it apropos to do so here as well

tyson has endeared himself to me over the years with his self-deprecation

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rMFI-8CIu6E