Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

This One's Been Bugging Me For Awhile... Any Idea What it is?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
Reverse:

Obverse:

If it's real, it's the oddest error I've yet to see.
Any speculations?

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a normally struck nickel, but then again struck with an obverse die....

Strange,

Dennis
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a double struck nickel. I would have to see it in person to give my final assessment, but if there is no damage on that coin, and there appears not to be-and it is the correct weight-then I would say double struck.
  • Options
    MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    Very odd indeed. No damage to the obverse (as I can see). The reverse features are backwards (The "CENTS" is reversed) but with a normal facing portrait. Looks as though another Lib reverse was pressed against a two-headed Lib. Lots of wear too so this circulated awhile.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like a double struck nickel. . >>

Doesn't look like a flip-over double strike to me (no reverse image on obverse)!

It's a conundrum!!
  • Options
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe a flip-over that landed on top of a blank planchet?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Could it be a clashed die ?
    -----------------------------------

Just looked at it again, it can't be a clashed die, every imprint is correct.

That sure is one odd strike; Is it genuine ?
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    If it was a Brock, wouldn't the image of Liberty be mirrored?

I'll bet Dog97 would know.
  • Options
    I know one thing, if it's a legit mint error then that's a cool coin to own!
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085

<< <i>image
    image >>

Ditto HA HA imageimageimageimageimageimage
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options

<< <i>

Doesn't look like a flip-over double strike to me (no reverse image on obverse)!

It's a conundrum!! >>

I did not say flip over double struck. My guess would be reverse double struck, which was known back then, and the obverse would be normal.
  • Options
    I could be wrong. It would not be the first time. I deal with lots and lots of modern errors-mated pairs, double strikes, etc.
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    I'd put my money on it being a cast counterfeit.

Ray
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I agree, cast counterfeit-----------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

It's a conundrum!! >>

I did not say flip over double struck. My guess would be reverse double struck, which was known back then, and the obverse would be normal. >>

Sounds impossible to me--it had to be struck against something or it would be like pushing a string!
  • Options
    Yep, could also be a fake.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

It's a conundrum!! >>

I did not say flip over double struck. My guess would be reverse double struck, which was known back then, and the obverse would be normal. >>

Sounds impossible to me--it had to be struck against something or it would be like pushing a string! >>

Not impossible. Check out some error coin books, or error coin websites and look at older coinage.

Mind you-I am not saying that what I said is 100% correct, but it is known to happen, and of course, it may very well be fake, that is why in my first or second post, I said if the weight was correct, i.e. hinting to the fact it may be fake!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know one thing, if it's a legit mint error then that's a cool coin to own! >>

Heck, even if it ain't a legit error, I think it's cool.

I bought an 1882 Indian cent once, with several clashes on it, one of which was from the reverse of a Seated dime. Almost certainly a "manufactured" error, but I thought it was neat, anyway. I got it for like five bucks and sold it on eBay for close to ten times that (being careful to stress the fact that it probably wasn't a real error).

Isn't there a story about some night watchman at the mint during the later 1800's, who was making all sorts of weird "clashed" coins to amuse himself?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    It had to of been struck directly by the obverse die, a clash would show the obverse design inverted (upside down and flipped horizontally). My guess is it's a flipover in which most of the lower relief reverse detail on the obverse has worn off. I do see some faint elements of the reverse on the obverse -- a leaf from the wreath to the right of the hair curl and something else at 12:00.
  • Options

<< <i>It had to of been struck directly by the obverse die, a clash would show the obverse design inverted (upside down and flipped horizontally). My guess is it's a flipover in which most of the lower relief reverse detail on the obverse has worn off. I do see some faint elements of the obverse on the obverse -- a leaf from the wreath to the right of the hair curl and something else at 12:00. >>

Good detecting--maybe you should change your handle to Sherlock!
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    majorbigtime - I love a good coin mystery as much as anyone.

Here's a pic from an older Longacre's Ledger of a flipover 1858 Flying Eagle in which the obverse shows almost all of the detail. Rather than ejecting from the press the coin flipped over and, like most flipovers, rotated as well. The second strike was also slightly off center. After the initial strike there wasn't enough metal left on most of the reverse to strike up into the obverse die for the second strike, causing the faint detail on that side.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file