Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

psa 10 with chipping?

http://images.auctionhelper.com/images/11122//40405733.jpg here is a psa 10 card from 1951 that is on ebay right now, but it seems odd that it would get a ten since the top left corner is showing white in the red boarder, and there is very slight chipping along the top of the card. am I crazy or is this ok for a ten now adays?

Comments

• jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    That is odd, especially now with PSA supposedly grading tougher than they used to. And the PSA # shows it was graded just recently. But I wouldn't think a chipped corner could grab a 10 at any time in PSA's history. It's not like it's part of a 100-card lot from 2004 that only got a passing glance. A 1951 Wheaties hand-cut should have had a thorough inspection.

Unless .... maybe ithe corner was dinged after grading but before slabbing? Or maybe it's floating too freely in the holder and the corner got dinged from sliding around?
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

What appears to be white on the corner may just be a reflection.
    It's impossible to get a decent scan of a card that's in a mylar sleeve within a slab.

Would have to see it in person to get a good idea of what that corner really looks like.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    what wolf said
    Good for you.
  • Welcome to the modern world of card trimming and holdering.

If that sounds like too strong an allegation I'll repeat things I heard at the recent National:

- Vintage Collectors are looking to keep trimmed vintage off the market by keeping them in holders, albeit with a designation it is a trimmed card!

- BGS/PSA tacitly allow for a "small" differential in sizing on cards.

Either or both of these comments is disturbing; I don't believe as others do that there is some "inside" guy at either company who works with a particular seller.

I beleve this is a problem in the industry alone and with any scum that tampers with a card.

• I think they should still slab trimmed cards but not grade them just slab them and mark them as 'trimmed'.
  • EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    but it seems odd that it would get a ten since the top left corner is showing white in the red boarder, and there is very slight chipping along the top of the card. am I crazy or is this ok for a ten now adays?

It's from a wheaties box and is hand cut. That might explain it.
  • A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I think that card looks prestine, even if there is the slightest chipping. That is an extremely rare card, the surface is beautiful considering it came off a cereal box and the abuse it likely had to endure. Who ever did the hand cut did a fantastic job, perfectly centered with large borders. For a card with an all red border from 1951, given the nature of the card, I don't think you can get much nicer specimens of the card than that one and I think the 10 grade is perfectly fine.

As far as slabbing trimmed cards, it's a ridiculous idea. Dealers sell trimmed cards all the time as if they are unaltered, whether they know about the trimming or not. If companies started slabbing cards and marking them as trimmed, people will just crack them out of the holder and sell them trimmed the same way they do now.

I have a solution that could fix the problem, albeit, anger a few people. There needs to be a little more risk involved with submitting cards for grading that are altered. Losing $10 isn't really a big deal, especially when they just send you the card back so then you can do whatever you want with it, including sell it as if it's unaltered. If a customer submits a card to PSA, SGC, GAI, BGS, and they determine with 100% certainty that the card has been altered, they should have the authority to then print the word ALTERED on the back of the card. They should do it in a way that the printing of the word ALTERED would not be able to be removed, perhaps very thin ink lines to form hollow box lettering that would stretch from one end to the other. The card would still have minimal value, as it would be a nice card to look at if someone didn't care if they were looking at a trimmed or altered card, but at the same time, it would take the card straight off the market for someone trying to pass it off as unaltered. Same thing should be done with unauthentic cards, they should be marked if submitted.
    they should have the authority to then print the word ALTERED on the back of the card

I like that idea. image
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

?? why do you have a half-naked dude in your sig line?
    ·p_A·
  • jaybyrdjaybyrd Posts: 377

<< <i>image

?? why do you have a half-naked dude in your sig line? >>

That is kind of disturbing especially with psa board name of 'pork'
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.

• << <i>image

?? why do you have a half-naked dude in your sig line? >>

Good one pandrews.....no answer yet!image
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    "....they determine with 100% certainty...."

this is the reason why the grading companies wouldn't be able to "stamp" the card.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • This may have been addressed ad nauseum in prior messages, but I have two questions: (1) Have people complained about PSA's encapsulation process that permits the cards to shift, which ultimately causes chipping and (2) does PSA disregard "rough cutting" of the card? With respect to the latter, I just received a PSA 10 Pujols rookie card that I sent in for grading that had a "jagged" cut on the right side. I also have purchased PSA 10 cards that exhibit rough edges on one side.
  • The half naked dude is WWE Wrestler John Cena. He's a fan favorite who wears throwback jerseys to the ring and raps while coming to the ring.

-Ian
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

TheCuse - for answers to question ( 1 ) see this link and this link

As to question ( 2 ) No, PSA does not downgrade a card because it exhibits a rough cut.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"

• << <i>The half naked dude is WWE Wrestler John Cena. He's a fan favorite who wears throwback jerseys to the ring and raps while coming to the ring. >>

Yep, he was actually at the National last week signing autographs. Then, he walked around the show floor for awhile looking at some of the booths.

-Bob
    TradingCardCentral.com - THE resource for trading card collectors.

TradingCardCentral.com covers sports cards, non-sports cards and collectibles and features the latest industry news, articles, product reviews, forums, giveaways and a growing number of collector resources.
    I thought it was Markie Mark (Mark Walberg).

• << <i>As to question ( 2 ) No, PSA does not downgrade a card because it exhibits a rough cut. >>

That's retarded... If they don't downgrade on that they shouldn't downgrade on other factory blunders like off centering and print spots.. Do SGC and GAI also not downgrade a card due to a rough cut?
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    influx - Depending on the severity of the rough cut, PSA, SGC and GAI do not downgrade for a rough cut.