Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

When did PSA start assigning grades to hand cut cards?

Is this for real? I thought that they only provided authentic grades on hand cut stuff.

Comments

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Not sure exactly when they made the transition, but they do grade hand cut cards in situations where the only way to get the card in a gradeable state would be to cut it. Cards like Hostess, Bazooka, Transogram (if someone tries to submit one), etc. all fall in this category.

They still grade them AUTHENTIC if the border is not completely showing on all four sides (in the case of the Yount card, losing any of the dashed lines, even for part of a side, would deem it AUTHENTIC). For borderless cards (84 Nestles, 67 Topps Test Discs, 67 Standup Proofs), PSA would need the size to be almost exactly the prescribed size of the issue (2-3/8 for the Test Discs for instance).

If PSA would have made the change and started grading sheet cut cards of issues like 1962 Topps then they would simply have turned into another BGS. Grading cards that require cutting makes sense (IMO).

Bob
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    So is PSA grading how adept someone is at cutting the card? With current technology, it's not all that impossible to cut a Hostess panel to make all of the dotted lines show. How would you differentiate between a 8, 9, or 10?

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    That's a good question. I've often wondered if the grade assigned has anything to do with the quality of scissors work outside of the borders. That Yount looks mighty nice - my guess is that eye appeal on a hand cut card has more of determiner of grade than the actual physical cuts and corners. Does anybody know? BTW, this hand cut card got it's numeric grade because it was an end card on a W551 strip; thus, it only had the one dotted border:

Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Well, the card has to be separated from the Twinkies/Wheaties/Raisin Bran box somehow. If you botch it, or just don't know that the dotted lines need to show, then you get a low grade or an "authentic." Since people never thought about cutting them for a good PSA grade until the 1990s, I have no problem with superb examples getting high grades. If a box survives uncut from the '60s or '70s to the present day, well, I guess you can use anything from nail clippers to a laser. Since the card is SUPPOSED to be cut by the consumer, I don't see how PSA can make rules about how they do it ... as long as it's outside the dotted lines so they know the entire card is there.
  • Options
    http://images.auctionhelper.com/images/11122//40405733.jpg some are getting grades they should not get
  • Options
    I think it's important to remember that there is a lot more to a card than the edges and corners. I agree that someone skilled with an exacto knife or paper cutter can get the edges, and thus the corners, pretty nice. What about the surface? For these Hostess cards, many of them sat face down on a grocer's shelf. For those cards that were not cut near the time of issue, there is the problem of storage for larger panels or boxes. Very easy to get surface creases in larger cards. Also, as long as the market does not assume that a PSA 10 means "thousands and millions of dollars" just because it is a 10, then the purchaser can simply use the grade to determine the relative merits of the card itself. A PSA 10 should not be a multiple of a PSA 9 for hand cut cards (IMHO). If all hand cut cards were marked AUTHENTIC, you would assume that you would have no price difference between a totally trashed copy and one that is pristine.

Bob
  • Options
    speederspeeder Posts: 819
    hi all,

whoever cut that ted williams cereal card did a super job !

cuts must be kept straight, with the same width between dotted line and cut, on all 4 sides !

try it sometime, it is much harder than you might think.

as i think it was john that said, these cards were made with the intention of being cut out.

wonder what that ted williams card will sell for ??

your friend, lee

ps. heres auction ">LINK on that 1951 ted williams wheaties psa-10 card. "buy it know" for $3,500
  • Options
    I just bought a hand cut 1987 Kraft Home Plate Heroes PSA 10 Eddie Murray

the pic isnt coming up though.
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com
  • Options
    Here are a few i've picked up lately. Ben

• Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    I'm going to submit all my red X's - hopefully they will grade out high.
  • Options
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just bought a hand cut 1987 Kraft Home Plate Heroes PSA 10 Eddie Murray

the pic isnt coming up though. >>

With the airbrushed logos making this a non-licensed issue, I thought PSA wouldn't grade it?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Mark,

The Kraft set was licensed by the Player's association, just not Major League Baseball (the teams). Therefore, no team logos on the hats. PSA won't grade totally non-licensed issues (Broders).

Bob
  • Options
    yeah, I was pumped to find this card because I can remember getting these in my teen years. Kraft Mac and Cheese image
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com