Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Little off topic

Has anyone gotten an e-mail from Paypal about a class action law suit and possible pay out of money.......It look real but has links in it I haven't cliked
Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
"A work in progress"

Wayne
eBay registered name:
Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    I did too. I believe its genuine. You can also always forward anything like that to spoof@ebay.com to get Ebay's official opinion of the source.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    I only got this mail like an hour ago....very long and detailed but I didnt read every word.........I was afraid to clik any othe the links.....so much vorus goin around right now

Thanks for the reply by the way

Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    It appears to be legit. The links point to the real paypal site, which then forwards you to a claim processing site. Here is what it's all about:

You can make a Short Form Claim if, prior to February 1, 2004, PayPal caused you to lose money because of any of the following:

* You experienced an unauthorized or incorrect electronic transfer to or from your PayPal account;
    * Your PayPal account was improperly restricted or access was improperly limited;
    * You requested information from PayPal about an account restriction or limitation or unauthorized transfer and you did not receive a satisfactory response; and/or
    * You experienced or reported an unsatisfactory result from a dispute with PayPal involving a chargeback, a refund, a buyer complaint, or PayPal’s Seller Protection Policy, Buyer Complaint Process and/or Buyer Protection Policy.

If you make a timely, valid claim using the Short Form Claim, you will receive a payment of $50. In the event that the amount needed to pay all of the Short Form claims exceeds the Short Form Fund, the fund will be divided equally among all the Short Form Claimants.

To make a Short Form Claim, you must (1) complete this Form, (2) print the Certification page, and (3) sign and mail the signed Certification, postmarked no later than November 1, 2004, to:

https://www.paypal.com/settlement/
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only unhappy PayPal experience I've had was getting ripped off for two hundred bucks by that same "numismatic101" goon who got Wayne, on the 66 pound lot of coins. And that wasn't really PayPal's fault. I'd have used my credit card for that transaction, since I suspected the guy was a crook all along, but THAT had just been stolen and I'd had to cancel it. So I did a PayPal transfer from checking. No chargeback possible. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Yes I got the same email just a few minutes ago. It is a true court case and legit however, looking back at my account history I do not see any problems that fall under submitting a long/short form. You can submitt a Statutory Damage claim if you are not a Dispute Resolution Claimant (i.e You experienced an unauthorized or incorrect electronic transfer to or from your PayPal account; Your PayPal account was improperly restricted or access was improperly limited; You requested information from PayPal about an account restriction or limitation yada, yada, yada.)

Here is the link for this hooplah for more infoimage
    Paypal class action link
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    It's real, but your only affected if they froze your account while investigating a complaint/problem.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Before I retired I had the "privilege" of participating in the settlement of several class actions against financial institutions I was working for. It is very common in those settlements for the attorneys bringing the actions to get very substantial fees, and the supposed "victims" to get little or nothing. This case is no exception. image

There is only $1-million allocated for "stautory claims". If more than 730,000 of the millions of potential claimants file, they will each net less than $1 after paying for the 37¢ stamp to mail their "certification form" in. imageimage

Wayne, and others located outside the U.S. will either get nothing (residents of many countries are expressly excluded from the settlement class), or even less than U.S. residents because of their higher postage expense. imageimageimage

Oh yeah, the settlement fund includes millions for the claimants' attorneys!image

Makes me so proud of my profession - not!
    Roy

• Options
    The only people who ever make money from a class-action suit are the frickin' lawyers..... imageimageimage
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'