Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Newbie Question/Opinions Wanted

Greetings everyone,

I am relatively new here, and have a general question about collecting of my favorite player, Wade Boggs.

I have a lot of his cards, and it appears that outside his rookie and possibly second year cards, there aren't that many that really sell for that much. Would it be better to just buy those less valuable (i.e. pricy) cards already graded in a 9, rather than submitting the cards I already have? I figure if I can get a guaranteed 9 for what it would cost to get my cards graded, that would be a better value, no?

Anyways, I just wanted to ask that...and get some input....I want to head down the right path before I make any purchases or send any cards in for grading.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I don't think there are many Boggs graded outside of '83 and '84 and maybe '85, but if there are I'm sure you can buy PSA 9's on eBay for the cost of grading or less. Whereas sending in your own, you're paying full grading fee plus shipping AND you may get some unwelcome 8's back.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Ditto - anytime you can add a graded card to your collection for the cost of the slab you're ahead of the game. Guaranteed 9, less hassle, less cost and guaranteed 9 - priceless!
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard! In the short term you should absolutely try to get slabbed Boggs cards as they should come cheap... but because he is a realtively minor star, the supply on ebay will be thin (as you said mostly '83. '84, '85) and most likely within a few months there won't be much popping up that you won't already own... so inaddition, I would stockpile as many MINT raw cards as you can find (they'll come cheap in lots) and be ready to start submitting when the eBay well runs dry.

Good luck! Hope to see you posting often.
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, Axtell....

.....and I like your icon!
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that it probably would be better and cost effective to buy the 9 grade instead of submitting and hoping....WELCOME to the boards and good luck with your Boggs cards.
  • Options
    Late1970sToppsLate1970sTopps Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    Don:

I thought you lived in Arizona. How did you become a Mariners fan?

Frank
    Looking for 1975, 1978, and 1979 Topps Baseball in high end PSA 9 and PSA 10.
    Frank....

I do now live in AZ but my company transferred me here from Seattle in 1996. I was there for part of the good and bad times but the best was when the M's beat the Yankees in that thrilling series in '95. image

Once a fan, always a fan!!
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14