Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What bothers you more about this 32S quarter?

JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
What is worse, the Unc details Net AU 55 it got for cleaning, or those really annoying obverse reed marks? I know this coin is a key, but I don't like it-even though its mine.
imageimage
P.S. Those are really nice die cracks on the reverse, on both the wing and behind the head.
Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    the reed marks definitely
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the reed marks definitely >>

I've purposely dropped coins on other coins to duplicate reeding marks and have yet to be successful. Any educated guesses on how these coins get them?

peacockcoins

• Options
    Either way in my opinion a good coin to have, probably the cleaning.
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Outside of the coin being in a big bag with others and being slammed onto a concrete floor during shipping, I have no idea.
  • Options
    Honestly, sometimes we are too critical of the coins we have (what was it that Cheryl Crow said? Something like "It's not getting what you want, but wanting what you've got.")

I know it may be a problem coin, but it is a key, has retained the majority of its mint strike lustre, and isn't that bad a coin. I like it (especially since I've not had one at all).
  • Options
    The cleaning would bother me more than the read marks. The marks are just part of a coins naturally journey, while the cleaning is a detour.
  • Options
    Rob790Rob790 Posts: 547

<< <i>

I've purposely dropped coins on other coins to duplicate reeding marks and have yet to be successful. Any educated guesses on how these coins get them? >>

It's probably when they are under a ton of other coins in the bins at the mint and the reeding of one coin gets dug into the surface of another coin as they are shifting. Sounds like some interesting experiment your doing.
  • Options
    jeez! it's a net au55....it's still a nice coin. spend it it you hate it so much
    anita...ana #r-217183...coin collecting noob
  • Options
    The cleaning would bug me too.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I've purposely dropped coins on other coins to duplicate reeding marks and have yet to be successful. Any educated guesses on how these coins get them? >>

Pat, coins are quite hot when the come out of the hopper--all it takes are two back-to-back... one falls on the other. Since they are so hot, they are softer and more likely to get the reed marks.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. I honestly had NO idea.

That answers that.

peacockcoins

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Pat, coins are quite hot when the come out of the hopper--all it takes are two back-to-back... one falls on the other. Since they are so hot, they are softer and more likely to get the reed marks.

Jeremy >>

I definitely learned something! Coolimage
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    It looks like it's still a pretty attractive coin- and the reed marks don't bother me that much- perhaps you're being a little hard on the coin??
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me the reed marks are a distraction and I knew the coin was cleaned (although only lightly), its the darn net grade---- I hate net grades. In my opinion I don't mind the slab stating the coin is cleaned- it is cleaned, but why the net grade. Just state that it is Unc Details cleaned-PERIOD. I sent this to ANACS because I get hives when PCGS bodybags a coin and still charges full price, I wish they would slab it and list the problem on the slab (without the net garbage). I guess I don't hate the coin, its just not my favorite being it is net graded. And Jeremy- you amaze me, thanks for your insight.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    The coins may be hot when they come out of the press but they would not be hot enough to soften to the point that a falling coin would put the reed marks on them. (Not to mention that the falling coin would be the hotter and therefore the softer of the to coins.) I doubt that the coins coming off the die would be more than 200 or 300 degrees or so. Not even red hot.

More likely reed marks come about from the way the coins are handled after they were bagged. They were not handled with kid gloves but were tossed around, dropped etc. There were contemporary descriptions of counting silver dollars in treasury vaults by picking up bags from one pile and tossing them onto another pile. What happens to a coin at the bottom of the bag when it comes down with all the weight of the coin in that bag forcing the other coins against it?
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Yes, reeding marks happen when they are tossed around in bag quantity. About the quarter- the cleaning bothers me more than reading marks on any coin. To me by cleaning you strip away the coins originality and the coin is dead for me. mike
  • Options
    The fonts on the mint mark and the serifs are different than a PCGS (64) example I looked at on ebay.

Possible added mintmark; wouldn't touch it !!

Steveimage
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy, excellent observation.

Steve 355, that's what the diagnostic is for a genuine 32-S.

Its still a beautiful coin, reed marks and all. But I'd have to agree with most of you that its the cleaning that bothers me the most.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Newbie question here.
    I was just wondering how it was cleaned?
    Are those hairlines on George and to the right of his ponytail?
    Its kind of hard to tell from the low light in the pic.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    on quarters or smaller, reed marks bug the he11 outta me. on halves or dollars, it's to be expected.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file