Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Worth $100,000? If he says it is!

Check out this incredible pack for sale by Mark Murphy...

1954 Topps Cello GAI 9 with Kaline on top

I saw the BIN of $100,000 and thought "Who is this guy kidding?", but then saw who was selling it and thought "Hmm, maybe it is worth that much!"

Comments

• Options

Mark Murphy is a 1st Class dipstick.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭

<< <i>Mark Murphy is a 1st Class dipstick. >>

Why? I was under the impression that he was highly respected in the hobby--especially in the area of unopened packs.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Why? I was under the impression that he was highly respected in the hobby--especially in the area of unopened packs. >>

You are right. Not many people know more about unopened packs than Mark, and he used to have an awesome selection prior to the fire at his place. He is building that back up now, slowly (though this one might give him a nice head start!).
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    mrrookie,
    when you click the link in your sig, it logs you out of the forum rather than going to the psa mantle.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Why? I was under the impression that he was highly respected in the hobby--especially in the area of unopened packs. >>

You are right. Not many people know more about unopened packs than Mark, and he used to have an awesome selection prior to the fire at his place. He is building that back up now, slowly (though this one might give him a nice head start!). >>

Yeah too bad about the fire at his place.(Hmmmmm).. Anyone know how to start a flood?image
  • Options
    I wonder how the fire started.....I'm sure he was insured image !My wax pack site...www.honestshawn.com

I'm sure I know a little about wax packs too...
  • Options
    highendhighend Posts: 534
    i wouldn't consider buying unopened vintage from anyone but BBCEXCHANGE or murphy.
    murphy literally wrote the book on unopened material, i don't know any of the details on the fire but i've always been happy with his product and service.
    100 g's is alot for that pack, if i had that kind of cash to drop on cards i'm sure it would go a long way towards building a world class 54 psa graded SET!
  • Options
    That's pretty impressive. But damn.. I would rather have a m3
  • Options
    zsz70zsz70 Posts: 541
    Murphy wouldn't have listed the buy it now
    at 100K unless he felt that one of his
    big buyers may take it for that price.

There are guys who have huge
    collections that pay huge prices for cards
    and remain anynomous.

I'm sure Murphy is trying to lure in one of
    those guys.

Also, there are guys with huge wax collections
    that may want this and offer Mark 100K in trade
    for it.

The 1/1 lure is HUGE to big collectors.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I definitely think the Kaline RC is driving the bus on this one but if you figure in the series and compare it with pack values and number of cards, I think the BIN is a bit ambitious IMO. Also, this is one you would want to personally inspect before you drop that kind of coin. I know nothing about pack grading but I assume the GAI 9 is for the "pack" condition rather than the cards. And as many have said, if you want dinged corners, buy a cello. Just my take on this one. Having said this, it is very, very rare and truly in the market place a poster child for the 1/1 - heck if someone will pay 62K for a Lebron 1/1, why not 100K for this item. And, the guy who buys it, will be spending it in the same manner commensurate with their income - I was watching a show where Oprah dropped 100K on a Shaker chest of drawers - to me that is used furniture!
    Mike

Mike
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stone...

You are correct in that the grade GAI gives is for the pack's condition, without regard to the cards in the pack. IMHO, the Kaline would probably grade a 6 or 7, considering the left edge of the card.

Steve