Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is there a better month or time of year to sell?

I am thinking of selling some coins ,several key dates, is there a better time than others to sell 1 to 6 or 7k coins? thanks for your input.

Comments

• Options
    Before X-mas! I'd say between September to January. I think the best time would be after Thanksgiving, before X-mas and right after X-mas and New years. Summer is usually very slow unless you have a store front in a tourist community.
    Just my opion. Good Luck with your sales!!

Katrina
  • Options
    Memorial Day thru July-- pretty slow
  • Options
    This summer seems more active than summers past, but I'd have to say summers do seem slower than the rest of the year. Also Christmas week and the week leading to the tax deadline April 15'th are bad.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Carl is right, this has been an unusually good summer with regards to selling.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Christmas... man, thats when I do a lot of buying. Dealers are dumping their inventory for lower amounts to avoid inventory tax. The market is ripe for the pickins around that time. Of all the times to sell a bunch of stuff.... Christmas would be my last pick. It's a buyer's market at that time.

David
  • Options
    I believe that there are many collectors who must buy something every once in a while to feed their "craving". To borrow an old adage - money burns a whole in their pockets.

If you can time your sale to a period where there have not been any or only a few of what you want to sell offered, it will do much better than not. This obviously only applies to coins that are relatively scarce. For example, right now there have been very few PCGS, Denver or San Francisco buffalo nickels from 1917 to 1926 in XF through AU offered on eBay lately. If one would come up for sale now, I believe it would sell for way over trends. There was a period earlier this year, when quite a few of these coins were offered in a short period and most sold below trends especially those that were sold last. My conclusion is that timing plays a role.
  • Options
    ccrccr Posts: 2,446
    I had luck selling cats and dogs around Easter and Christmas. While it`s not coins but, people tend to dish out crazy money around ( perferable soon before of course ) those two holidays.
  • Options
    I've always heard spring or fall.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file