Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Mark Murphy going for the jugular

$100 k for a '54 Topps pack?

Granted, it's a rare pack. But is any pack worth $100 k? I'll save my $100 k for some Goudey packs... image

Comments

• Options
    If Mark can get that for it, more power to him. My hesitation would be, although Mark has an excellent reputation, that he might possibly have graded this himself.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    AWESOME PACK. PEOPLE THINK THE HONUS WAGNER IS RARE, THIS IS 50 TIMES RARER AND MUCH BETTER IN MY OPINION. THANKS, MARK

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>If Mark can get that for it, more power to him. My hesitation would be, although Mark has an excellent reputation, that he might possibly have graded this himself. >>

Mark Murphy is not a grader fpr GAI.

The pack was fantastic.

Thanks H. Walker
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Isn't ironic that most, if not all, sets never ever equal the sum of their parts................yet, an unopened pack like this would never come close to rewarding the owner the purchase price based upon the sum of it's parts if busted..........

Of course I realize that this pack would never be opened (at least 99.99% of me believes that) and the coin is derived from a 'unopened' collectable state, but it is interesting nonetheless.

BOTR
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If Mark can get that for it, more power to him. My hesitation would be, although Mark has an excellent reputation, that he might possibly have graded this himself. >>

The pack was fantastic.

Thanks H. Walker >>

But he used to be. He said he never graded his own packs and I believed him, but not all in the marketplace did.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The pack was fantastic.

Thanks H. Walker >>

But he used to be. He said he never graded his own packs and I believed him, but not all in the marketplace did.

Joe >>

What you say is true. Just so you know that pack was graded at the National, not while Mr. Murphy was grading for GAI.

I just don't want to see another great pack get dumped on like some have on other packs where the information was incorrect.

H. Walker
  • Options
    Chew,
    A question about the grading at the show. Does this mean that Paul was up to going to the show? I know that he has been bound to the chair for some time and has trouble getting around. I haven't seen him at a National in many many years. Or did someone else grade it?
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    Any guesses as to the actual market value of the pack? I'm estimating maybe $25+ k given the high grade.

• Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    I heard rumours of a 53 bowman cello that was going to be in mastro? that would have topped this pack. It didn't make it into the auction. I will have to follow up as to what happened with it. the seller was looking for 20k +

and that kaline is an awesome pack , I don't care who graded it as long as mark approves of it and hopefully it was passed in front of paul wright. if it was graded by global without paul , the fact that it is owned by murphy is much more credible in my mind and probably the only way I would consider it
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I definitely think the Kaline RC is driving the bus on this one but if you figure in the series and compare it with pack values and number of cards, I think the BIN is a bit ambitious IMO. Also, this is one you would want to personally inspect before you drop that kind of coin. I know nothing about pack grading but I assume the GAI 9 is for the "pack" condition rather than the cards. And as many have said, if you want dinged corners, buy a cello. Just my take on this one.

Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    when did mark murphy move his office to california? is this due to the fire he had a couple years ago?is this to be closer to gai? not sure how close he is to them now?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

To my knowledge Mark Murphy is no longer grading packs for GAI and he hasn't been for over a year now. As for the pack $100K seems INSANE to me but then again i didn't tie up the money to purchase the pack he did so i guess he has the right to ask whatever he wants to for it. My guess is that when it does sell your looking at a $20K-$30K pack. It is an awesome pack.

Paul.
    Check out my vintage football card web site: WWW.MONSTERSOFTHEGRIDIRON.COM
    STEELERS4LIFE
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My two sense on this pack,

Is the pack really worth this figure of $100K?, from a rarity standpoint I am sure that their is no other pack like this in exsistance, but looking at the Kaline rookie it probably would not get a 9 grade if busted and submitted, I am sure that the pack if bought would probably not be opened but would all the cards in this pack add up to this figure? I dont know much about Pack collecting but the price seems a bit steep. I talked to Mark about a year ago and asked him about a figure for a 52 pack and he told me they go for about 5-6 grand. Has the market changed since then? I would think a 52 pack would be more valuable than this.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    well mastro had a 1954 cello someone made with
    hank aaron RC on the front and ted williams on the back
    or vice versa and it went to an unlucky soul for 9500-12500
    a couple years ago.."ungraded" and i am certain it will
    remain that way
    Money is your ticket to freedom.