Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

worst designed cards

1975 Bonds, Alex johnson, check out the airbrush.

all of 1960 BB, notice how they never used that format again.

1964 sadecki look for the "ass " of Top Brass" in the background.

1973 and that cheap paper that is boaderline embarassing.

And your right, the 67 set is the best of the decade,

1968 design so bad, they had to change in mid stream.

Rating best 1967, 1969, 1965, 1963, 1961, 1966, 1968, 1964, 1962, 1960 worst
In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    1990 donruss
    Good for you.
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    What company/year put out those horrible yellow cards? 90/91 Fleer or Score?
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    My dream job would be to design cards for one of the big card making companies.. I think it's right up my ally I make websites for a living so I'm not graphically challenged. image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    What company/year put out those horrible yellow cards? 90/91 Fleer or Score?

fleer i believe
    Good for you.
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    Worst:

1990 Fleer Football
    1990 Topps FB
    Anything Fleer Metal

Best:

1967 topps BB & FB
    1963 topps FB
    2004 Topps BB
  • Options
    Those 87 Topps BB's kind of suck too with the wood bordering or whatever it is.

For old tobacco cards... I've never really been a fan of the T207's brown backgrounds...

Or those cards from the late 20's with the almost caricature drawings of guys like Cobb and Ruth...
    Collector of T201 Mecca double folders. Graded and Raw...
  • Options

<< <i>Those 87 Topps BB's kind of suck too with the wood bordering or whatever it is.

For old tobacco cards... I've never really been a fan of the T207's brown backgrounds...

Or those cards from the late 20's with the almost caricature drawings of guys like Cobb and Ruth... >>

Gues they tried to copy the 1962, 25 year anniversary? They just sucked. So ugly and incredibly overproduced. YUCKimage
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    Here's an auction link to the Sadecki "ASS" card:

1964 Topps Ray Sadecki

EDIT: I'm bidding on this one! Don't anyone dare outbid me! image
  • Options
    z2345z2345 Posts: 92
    The ugliest cards are:

1955 Bowman
    1962 Topps
    1987 Topps

Wood borders in general just make the cards look horrible.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭

<< <i>The ugliest cards are:

1955 Bowman
    1962 Topps
    1987 Topps

Wood borders in general just make the cards look horrible. >>

I like the '55 Bowmans because they are innovative with the TV set design. As for '62 and '87, the '62s were innovative, too, but the '87 was just a ripoff.
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    1991 Donruss baseball just screams Hammer Pants and splatter paint.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    I'll respectfully offer the dissenting opinion here - I love the 1960 Topps BB design.
    Vivid colors, neat horizontal design, some great ballpark shots, highlights of the '59 season - and the first complete set I ever collected.

I will join the majority opinion regarding 1990 Donruss, not to mention the crappy card stock of the early 80s Fleer and Donruss - yechhh!!!
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    jaybyrdjaybyrd Posts: 377
    1979 and 1981 Topps baseball are the worst. Cap design on the 81's is horrible and the photographs are not any better. 79 design just showed a total lack of interest on the part of Topps.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    1991 fleer, worse than any donruss issue IMO.
    1991 donruss
    1990 donruss

87 topps may be cheesy, but the more i look at them, the more they grow on me. of course the first pack of cards i ever bought were 87 topps, so it may just be sentimental.

E
  • Options
    I've got to dissent on '91 Fleer--the yellow works for me. Of course I wear red Converse to work everyday, so maybe I just have a thing for primary colors.

As to the worst, '82 Fleer is up there for me, mainly because of the photography. And some of those newer, garishly holographic sets like '95 Pacific Prisms. Where looking at them at the right angle under bright light can cause migraines or blindness.

Peter G.
    Always looking for PSA 9 or better Alan Trammell basic set cards. Visit my Trammell card web site at "www.trammellcards.com"
  • Options
    highendhighend Posts: 534
    i know i'm going to draw fire from some 73 topps bb guys, but for me the 73 set was an all time low until 81 topps hit the shelves, everything after that was a blur.
    however, 83 topps bb was a nice set and i thought it was an improvement over the 63 design .