Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

MintState selling #1 53 Bowman FB set - WOW

Set Rating 8.25! One of the finest FB sets ever completed. Owned by Kevin Stonegate. REG link

MINTSTATE

Thats 2 of the top FB sets (55 Topps AA) in the last month handled by Rick.

Loves me some shiny!

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Has Stonegate liquidated all of his sportscard sets?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    I think he now owns a vineyard in CA. Needs capital. Dont know if he is selling all.

He has sold his 54B FB, 55B FB, 60T FB - All were #1 finest.

Drool.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Ahhh, vineyard in California.

We did a fascinating business case study on them at HBS. Status symbol, not much of a cash generator. Almost no hopes of recovering cost once you factor in the price of land, etc.

Still - quite jealous!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    MS,
    I believe he now owns this as well. INK HOUSE B&B

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    if MintState is selling it, i know i won't be bidding
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>if MintState is selling it, i know i won't be bidding >>

·p_A·
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    That could be one of the toughest FB sets to complete in high grade. Too bad he doesn't have any pictures posted.... I'd give my right lung to have that set.... I wonder if he'd trade...

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the interest in the set -- it was alot of fun to build and tough to let go. It's my favorite and my last major football set after selling off the '54B, '55B, 60T, and National Chicle last fall (all the graded baseball sets went earlier). As for my collecting plans, I'm happy with the raw sets I have and will continue to weed the collection, including grading for selling. I'm still a big fan of graded cards and the stability and value that PSA has brought to our hobby, it's just too much of an addiction for my nature with the PSA Set Registry competition, weighted averages, leader boards, etc. So wish me luck in my recovery and don't be tempting me with any high-grade vintage football!

Now that I have all this free timeimage, I can have more fun with my five kids and other business interests -- including the Ink House (www.InkHouse.com, thanks for the plug Randall) and the surrounding Petite Syrah vineyard (financials are quite positive thanks to the lodging and retail revenue to go along with the grape farming -- actually producing and selling wine with the equipment, labor, material, and distribution costs is a much tougher business). In addition, I'm in a group that is starting a new independent minor league in California and Arizona for next year (Single A/Double AA level) and will be transitioning into the League Commissioner role next spring. Check it out at www.goldenbaseball.com (you can sign up as a GBL Insider to keep track of our development) -- if anyone is interested shoot me an email and I'll send you a complete set of our first cards when they are out next summer (I'm planning on designing the cards to look similar to the '50s Topps run).

Cheers,
    Kevin Outcalt
    (kdoutcalt@aol.com)
    Ink House
    Golden Baseball League
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Best of luck Kevin. Thanks again for your help on my 1960 Topps FB set!
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    I live right next door to a relatively new winery in northern CA (Leal, for those who know wines). They seem to be doing well financially. They just opened up a tasting room and an area for weddings/parties. I'm estimating that they've got about 75 acres of vineyard.
  • Options
    Kevin:

Good luck in your selling your set.

I am in the process of selling my 1955 AA FB Set through Rick as well.

People know, when you have very high grade FB cards that Mint State is the place to sell them through. Rick always finds a way to draw the best prices in the business.

As for the children that won't do business with Rick. So be it. That means the better cards in the hobby will go to the better homes.

Rob
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    KEVIN - Good Luck w/ all your ventures. It was a pleasure dealing with you in the past. Don't be a stranger...jay
  • Options
    Hi Rob,

You are correct -- Rick Snyder is The Man when it comes to high-grade vintage football dealers. Regardless of the recent threads, I've bought and sold with Rick for over five years and never had anything but a first class experience with him. Also, thanks to you for making a number of the 1953 Bowman FB PSA 9s available when I first started this set.

Best Regards,
    Kevin
  • Options
    Kevin:

No Prob. I knew I would not have the deep pockets to deal with trying to put together (2) world class sets.

The AA Set was my baby, and is now going to help fund the purchase of my 1st house.

I am glad I could have helped you out, and knowing that I had something to do with helping to put together another great set. I think when I went ahead and sold them, I had like 1/3 of the PSA 9's in the entire pop. It is nice to see that you ended up getting so many more.

Good luck in all you do.

Rob Ruth

P.S. Don't forget with all the money you get on your sale you can always buy some of my AA's that Rick has there for sale image

P.P.S. Now that I remember and see that Jay posted, he had a hand int he set as well. When I 1st started on the set, I bought the 1st PSA 9 I got in the set from Jay.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kevin,

Best of luck with your business endeavors. I know for a fact that vineyards can make good business sense. My ex-boss, who's now retired, invested in a vineyard with Mary Edwards as the principal wine maker. They're doing quite well, even when the market was saturated the past year or so. If the wine is good, it will sell.

By the way, that '52 wax pack brick purchase never went through. I guess the owner just couldn't part with it.

John
  • Options
    ironrangerironranger Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Kevin, good luck with your new business ventures! You have always been a classy guy to deal with.

Regarding your '53 set, you can't go wrong selling it through Rick. He is the perfect dealer to liquidate a world class set like yours.