Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grades back from SEGS and NGC one sweet upgrade

sadysta1sadysta1 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭
Just got them today:
SEGS
1911 Lincoln matte proof PF60 harsh cleaning (this is the coin I rescued in Baltimore), in addition to being cleaned it had PVC problems (which I fixed) and I paid silly money for it. I never owned a matte proof and I figured it will be a good dead to save this coin - the holder explains why SEGS was the chice service for grading this coin.

NGC (3 crossovers submitted in Baltimore) many of thr folks attending the baltimore show have seen these coins at one pont or another. That submission had a "shock and awe" written all other it

1841 half nice prooflike DNC imageimageimage it was worth a shot this is a very nice coin
SHOCK PART
1862 ANACS 25c PF62 DNC my mom said it had "artificial toning" sticker attached to itimageimageimageimageimageimageimage attached to the original ANACS holder. I do not want to start trouble here but to put it plainly ANACS BLOWS big time IMHO this is the second time I had problem with an ANACS coin i was trying to cross it. First one was toned 1924 quarter graded by them MS61FH. I cracked it and sent to NGC and it was returned "questionable toning", I sent it to SEGS and it returned MS62FH (a proper grade IMHO) but with questionable toning note on the holder as well. I have had it, NO MORE ANACS coins for me.
AWE PART
Do you remember mine 1890s-S (I'll confirm the date later) a nice prooflike $20 in an older PCGS AU58 holder? I'm pleased to inform that now it resides in NGC MS61PL holder imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage this coin is fantastic I cannot wait to see it again. this is a bright spot in otherwise dismal submission.

Comments

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would always choose SEGS over ANACS. I've dealt with both for years, and I agree with your comment about ANACS.
  • Options
    sadysta1sadysta1 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭
    yep i agree, no more ANACS for me
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    SEGS is pure garbage and has zero acceptability in the marketplace. I would rather have a capital holder with a sticker on it. Go to any show and you will see dealers overloaded with SEGS garbage that they can't get rid of.
    Of course, if you criticize SEGS, you're bound to get a nasty pm from koynekwest., like I did.
    I'll take ANACS all day long over SEGS, ANACS is a reputable third party grading service with a staff of experts and full market acceptance, as opposed to SEGS, who's a one man show and the customer service sucks, that is if you can ever get Larry Briggs on the phone. They were touted as the second coming when they first came out. I even submitted dozens of coins and was promised a free proof SEGS graded Franklin when I joined. Never got the Franklin, called Larry back many times, could rarely get him on the phone., never got the promised Franklin, never got the promised newsletters that they said that they would send as part of the membership in the SEGS alliance. Larry must think that people have short memories,
    Koynekwest, you wanted facts, well there you go!!!, nothing that was promised was ever delivered!!!, how is that for facts.
    Also, I took numerous SEGS garbage with PVC on it to ANACS, PCGS, and NGC, at shows, all confirmed, SEGS loves PVC, especially on copper, so before you send nasty emails to people about critizing SEGS, maybe you were one of the few who got the free Franklin or the newsletters, or were able to reach Larry Briggs on the phone 1/10 times, other than that, as far as SEGS is converned, they are ancient history and I treat them as raw coins.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>SEGS is pure garbage and has zero acceptability in the marketplace. >>

not saying your a moron, but that's a moronic statement, & blatantly untrue. stick to facts, you'll be better off that way.

that said, briggs really screwed up when he sold his soul to the devil, but that's beside the point.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file