Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Bell Brand Collectors....

Yet another "find"... cards in original wrapper (cello). This time they are two 1961's. Other than the 58's, it's my opinion that these are more scarce to find still sealed than the other years. These auctions will be something to keep an eye on.

61 Bells

Kevin

Comments

• Here is another example of how the Bell Brand card market has been influenced.

Raw Bell Auction

This has an SMR of $115 in PSA 8. Just by the pic it may have a shot but as some of us know very few of these cards make it to that level. Should it make the 8 grade, it would probably sell in the $400 range.

I wish PSA would let the collectors price the cards we specialize in to reflect the true value since we are up to date on the market trends. The Bells actual vs. SMR is way off....4x - 6x in the case of PSA 7's.

Kevin
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    I saw several '61 Dodger Bell Brand PSA 9s at Goodwin's table at the National. He said they would be included in his next auction. Just an FYI.
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Wow - according to the Pop report, there are only five 9's in existence - we know where one of the them is, and there may be one or two (?) in the #2 set - there's going to be some blood letting.

Kevin - do you know who j.d.l.c. is? He ran me up on my last Morrell, too - he's been gunning down some nice stuff at top dollar. Sometimes it's just a matter of who's got more money - SMR is out the window.

Just as a reminder, here's my '62 Bell Brand Wills that I won about two months ago. The verbal description isn't quite as glowing as the one that closed last night, but I expect it to land a 6 and, as we all know, especially with Bells, you really don't know what you have until you have it.

...ah, the power of the press....
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • j.d.l.c seems to have entered the Bell Brand market right after Kevin's article. I don't remember bidding against him before. He has beaten me out of some up-grades for my sets as well. However he doesn't seem to recognize that an ungraded card, described as Nm/mt, doesn't have the same value as a PSA 8. I think the '62 Wills is a good example, maybe it is an 8, but we Bell Brand collectors know all too well how tiny surface scratches or almost invisible paper wrinkles can drop a good looking card from an 8 to a 5 or 6. I have never bought an ungraded Bell Brand on the internet that graded above a 7, and 6's have been a lot more common.

Rick
    Always looking for high-grade 1958-62 Bell Brand and Morrell Meat Dodger cards.

Maybe it was 1962 Bell Brand. I just looked at the cards briefly and put them down when he said that they were reserved for his next auction.

<< <i>Maybe it was 1962 Bell Brand. I just looked at the cards briefly and put them down when he said that they were reserved for his next auction. >>

John - probably not '62 since the pop report shows only one 9; maybe '60 which shows four of 'em, but one is in KT's set, leaving 3 unaccounted for. In any event, the blood will definitely flow, deep and red, thick and bountiful....
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• According to the pop report there are currently 11 PSA 9's in existence....for all Bell years. 58=1, 60=4, 61=5, 62=1.

I have the first one, I think, ever given a 9. A 61 Duke in about 98. Rickster may have 3 or more and a guy I know locally has the 58 Drysdale. Rick you should show off your sets instead of keeping them hidden...your cards are awesome and inspiring.

I'm quite sure j.d.l.c is a product of my Pulitzer Prize winning article (LOL). Although I know most of the Bell collectors or have had correspondence with them at least once, I don't know j.d.l.c.. He/she came around about a month ago and has been snapping up the cards that we are hesitant to buy or already have. He/she is driving the price up considerably with very deep pockets.

Personally, I would not spend big $ on a raw card unless I could inspect it thoroughly. Even then, there is a chance of a lesser grade for the reasons stated above. It is a lesson leaned the hard way.

"The power of the press"...so very true. We can all agree that the market needs to cool down.

I am thankful that because of the article some very generous and thoughtful collectors, who were either grateful or able to profit from the popularity, have allowed me to put together lesser grade raw sets of each year (other than 58). Again...thanks...you know who you are. I'm living in Bell heaven!

I have been trying to return the favors by sending cards to various collectors, simply because they appeciate them. One good turn deserves another.

Kevin

I guess the best thing to would be to shoot an email over to Goodwin to see exactly what he has. If memory serves me correctly...there may have been 2 or 3 of them. Then again..I may have been drunk at the Nationals whe I saw them. image
  • Kevin,
    prior to your article, I did have my sets open on the registry. I have been collecting these cards for over 10 years. I only need a total of 5 cards to finish 3 of the sets, but the pop. report shows very few high grade examples of these cards at this time. When they do eventually hit the market I will probably pay whatever it takes to win them. My problem is that the new players in the Bell Brand market seem to have gone nuts in trying to buy every card that comes along. I believe another example, in additon to the above sales you mention, is the raw '62 Willie Davis, with scratches and poor centering, that went for $90. Prior to your article, that card in a 7 would probably have only cost $90-110. Granted, I have always felt the Bell Brands were highly undervalued in high grade, but I don't want to advertise to these new collectors which cards I need when there are so few high grade examples that come to market. When I complete a set I will be happy to open it for viewing.

In the meantime, I can state that I have 3 "9"s in my collection: 1960- Koufax and Essigian (both purchased raw at a National years ago, and the 1961 Koufax.

Rick
  • We can now account for 6 of the 11 PSA 9's out there. So 2 or 3 with a single dealer is very possible.

New auctions - Looks like j.d.l.c is hitting them hard as well.

Rickster, I hope your not in a rush to complete the 62's, I would like to stay at #1 for just a little while. Can I convince you to focus all your resources on 60 & 61 sets....I promise I won't bid against you (begging never hurts). Again, I congratulate you on the quality of your sets.

I know this doesn't belong here but I just put up an auction for a raw 85 Topps/OPC George Brett Sticker. Brett collectors will all admit this is a tough find...and it's got a shot at a 10. I seem to have a lot of 80's oddballs that collectors are looking for..most are in sets.

Kevin
  • I can account for one more. I have the '61 Wills.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Rickster, I hope your not in a rush to complete the 62's, I would like to stay at #1 for just a little while. Can I convince you to focus all your resources on 60 & 61 sets....I promise I won't bid against you (begging never hurts).

Kevin, you are right, it never hurts to beg. Just not sure how much it will help in this case. Trading me the '61 Snider, now that could make magic happenimage

So, if Goodwin's are all from the same year, he must have '61's coming up in his auction. I don't have access to the pop report, can you check which cards (other than the Snider and Wills) have a graded 9?

Rickster

<< <i>I don't have access to the pop report, can you check which cards (other than the Snider and Wills) have a graded 9?

Rickster >>

2 Sniders, 1 each Wills, Hodges & Koufax.

Mark (amerbbcards)

• Thanks Mark,
    I guess its Snider and Hodges that will be up for auction then. Should be interesting to see what star cards in a 9 grade will bring in a major auction. Could well see a lot of action from people other than Bell Brand collectors.

Rickster
  • By the way Mark, I'm assuming you saw the '59 Morrell Koufax in the Mastronet auction. They grade it as Ex, which as you know is hard to find. Only problem is you have to buy the other cards in the lot as well.

Regionals up for auction

Rickster
  • Mark,

There it is in all its glory. The "Holy Grail" of your collecting dream, in a condition greater than you have ever seen.

Put the nitro under your tongue and get that card!

Kevin

Okay...here is the info.

Goodwin will have 1 PSA 9 in his next auction. It is Duke Snider. I'm not sure what year it is but the picture shows Duke on one knee.

He will also have PSA 8s of Snider (standing), Tommy Davis, & Hodges.

Not sure which years.

John
  • The Snider on one knee is a 61, same with the Hodges and possibly the Davis. The Snider standing is more than likey a 1960.

If I bought the PSA 9 Snider I would probably destroy it.

Kevin
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Whew. I was afraid it was a '58 and things would get ugly!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

<< <i>If I bought the PSA 9 Snider I would probably destroy it. >>

Why do you say that?

• << <i>If I bought the PSA 9 Snider I would probably destroy it. Why would you say that? >>

Rarity adds value.

but

I probably wouldn't do it.
  • Griffins,

I know (of) the guy who owns the only 1958 PSA 9...Drysdale. I could give you the contact info if you wish, it has been up for sale before but missed reserve.

Kevin
  • I am trying to complete my raw low-grade sets and was wondering if any of the Bell collectors can help. I am missing a few:

1960 Don Demeter (X2)
    1960 Carl Furillo
    1961 Bob Lillis
    1961 John Podres
    1961 Norm Sherry
    1961 Ed Roebuck

I have several Bells to trade. Essentially, I would like to trade my crappy cards for other crappy cards.

Kevin
  • If anybody has bell brand basketball cards for sale ... I'll gladly pay $500 for one in any complete condition (I only have one example).

Any leads?

Jeff

jeff@vintagebasketballcards.info
    http://www.vintagebasketballcards.info
  • Never knew they existed. I think we would all like to see an example. Can you post a pic?