Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

PCGS Boxes

Okay, I admit that I bought a couple of the PCGS boxes to hold my entombed coins. The boxes are nice, probably fake, cherry and very practical. The wood has been stained and varnished. I could still smell the remaining fumes.

My question is, if the coin is insulated from the wood and stain and varnish by the slab, is the coin in jeopardy from the fumes that build up while the lid is closed?
Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com

Comments

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I don't know the definitive answer but I'm thinking why take the chance.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good question.

They sound like nice boxes. Hopefully somebody thought about this.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    It seems to me it would depend on the slab. If it is hermetically sealed, outside fumes couldn't have any effect; but if there is the slightest leak in the seal you're asking for trouble. Storage iof do-it-yourself slabs in those boxes would be a definite no-no.
    Roy

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    It should be enlightning. I just sent an e-amil to David Hall and asked him the same question.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    It can not be stressed enough that no TPGs plastic material and method of sealing renders the contents 'hermetically sealed'. With plastic this is not possible.

The other issue is that woods contain sulfur; some more, some less.......sulfur equals tarnish; some pretty, some pretty ugly.

The best 'method' I've ever seen to enhance the chances of the coin (metal) remaining in the same condition as struck, were the Watt and Robinson family holdings which had been wrapped in multiple layers of tissues (most probably watch papers), and then sealed inside of fitted brass shells some of which have been silver-lined. The two key points being that the coin was wrapped in an anti-tarnish barrier #1 (the watch papers), then sealed from outside air by the brass shells which themselves acted as a corrosion barrier away from the coin.

One of the top IHC collectors (can't recall his name) on this forum uses copper mesh wrapped around the boxes which hold his IHCs. Same principle on a macro level.

My advise is to stay away from wood as a storage medium. I love wood, but long term it will be a big negative.

As to the organics involved with the stain, etc., that is a major unknown and most probably even more of a negative than super-cured and dried wood.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I wanted to revive this thread because its better we add to an existing one than start a new one.

I also want to find a suitable place to store my PCGS slabbed coins. I was thinking the plastic PCGS coin container that fits 20 slabbed coins. Anyone have experience with this? Is the box made out of plastic archival material like polypropylene?

PCGS coin storage box for slabbed coins

I might as well ask the same question for NGC slabs. They also have a plastic storage box. Supposedly it can hold both the NGC and PCGS slabs. The PCGS box cannot hold the NGC slabs. NGC coin storage box for slabbed coins

I am not sure if purchasing by Amazon is the best place. Any leads would be great too.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    DeutscherGeist, the plastic boxes are fine for storage (yes, NGC will hold both size slabs) just be sure you use and change dessicants on a regular basis (especially if kept in a SDB where higher humidity is the norm).

As to buying them, keep your eye on the US Coin BST; you should be able to buy someone's "extras" for under $5 each including shipping (at least for quantities of 8 or more).
  • Options
    JerseyJoeJerseyJoe Posts: 460 ✭✭
    How about the Intercept Shield Coin Storage Boxes ? The ones I use holds each slab
    separately with a window to see coin and label. Then ten go into a separate Intercept
    Shield Coin Storage Box.
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>DeutscherGeist, the plastic boxes are fine for storage (yes, NGC will hold both size slabs) just be sure you use and change dessicants on a regular basis (especially if kept in a SDB where higher humidity is the norm).

As to buying them, keep your eye on the US Coin BST; you should be able to buy someone's "extras" for under $5 each including shipping (at least for quantities of 8 or more). >>

You can also just call NGC and purchase new boxes from them directly for less than you will find them on Amazon or eBay.

==================

Just to give a little more information.

Call number: 1-800-NGC-COIN

The boxes are $6 each, and the UPS shipping is $13 (for 1-10 boxes -- the more you buy, the less average cost).

Just a couple days ago, I purchased 8 boxes, $61 shipped. Not bad in my opinion.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    MacCrimmon,

Wow, after nine years, coming back to the same thread. How does that feel?

What does SDB stand for? I live in CA, so its not as humid as the deep South or the Northeast. You previously gave an erudite response about coin storage boxes, so I really appreciate your insights.

I briefly read about the Intercept Shield storage boxes, JerseyJoe. I will consider this.

brg5658, thank you for the lead on where to buy. I will have to ask a friend to piggy-back on my order so I can maximize the savings per box on one shipment.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    I feel old, that's how! image

The Int. Shield boxes are great, but they are no longer produced. Occasionally, the BST has offers for sale.....they are supposed to have about a 10-year shelf life.

SDB = safe deposit box, and it doesn't matter where the bank is located as all banks keep the SDB at high(er) humidity to preserve paper documents, etc.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I feel old, that's how! image >>

At least you gave the same response. That speaks volumes to the credibility of your suggestions IMO. After all, you've had nine years to see negative results and change your mind image

I have never used desiccants. I'll have to see about that. Do you place them inside the blue plastic PCGS boxes? I do not keep mine in the SDB so I'm not worried about high humidity. Actually they're stored in a rather dry place.

The NGC slabs are slightly taller but they WILL fit inside PCGS boxes width-wise. So ... if you find a really cheap PCGS box, perhaps at a flea market or local coin show ... and you don't mind a little masking tape on the seam image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    You guys are great! Fun bunch here.

I do not have many slabs at the moment. Less than 20. One friend offered to give me his extra box, but it is PCGS. My goal is the eventually get one box of PCGS and NGC since I have both kinds of slabs, but this will be fine in the interim.

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    BTW, FWIW ... the ANACS slabs fit just fine in the PCGS boxes, too!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE