Home PSA Set Registry Forum

80 GOSSAGE 140 PSA 9 1/1 - Holy Ship!

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    if i remm correctly that mcgraw psa 10 was a very tuff card to find centered. i wonder what that went for?

128.00 for the gossage in 9 ..interesting
    Good for you.
  • RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    Within the last year or so,the McGraw has increased in population from 8 to 10.I believe Marc or Joker would know a little more on the card since one of those cats wound up with the first.

As for this 9...It sets a new record.

First off,since I've been involved with the grading thing and 1980 - there is 1 or 2 8s and 1 7 (I think).You might laugh but it's a very difficult card with ink issues.I have never seen one raw that would 8.

As for difficulty,I think it bolis down to someone opening up the right box before one can truly say it's impossible.

Difficult cards in 80 for me were: 6 Unser ,Gary Thomasson,Sangullien & Gossage.I beleive everything but Manny has a 9 now.

• Out of curiosity, which do folks think is likely the dominant term in this card's premium--the low population or the Yankee pinstripes? Or is it really the combination that does it?

Peter G.
    Always looking for PSA 9 or better Alan Trammell basic set cards. Visit my Trammell card web site at "www.trammellcards.com"
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    id say the 1/1 is 75% and the yankee mystique added the other quarter.im prolly wrong but what the hell i could use the post count
    Good for you.
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    i can't speak for the high bidder but girlmaverick is all yankees all the time and bids to win. the high bidder is lucky is the other yankee guy wasn't in on this or it would have went for 2 and a quarter! i am not sure how to spell it but its eabayeta or something like that?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Rob, I missed that! But, I also am shocked at the price (no doubt driven by the low pop more than it being the Goose/Yankees). Actually, when you look at it, the centering looks off a bit L/R to me.

4sharp must have found some nice raw 80's...in the last few months, that's where I got my PSA 10's of Fred Lynn and Mike Schmidt.
  • RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭

<< <i>Rob, I missed that! But, I also am shocked at the price (no doubt driven by the low pop more than it being the Goose/Yankees). Actually, when you look at it, the centering looks off a bit L/R to me.

4sharp must have found some nice raw 80's...in the last few months, that's where I got my PSA 10's of Fred Lynn and Mike Schmidt. >>

It's probably good you did miss it. image

As for centering,it's hard to tell from small scans,but 60/40 esque is common on 9s.
    The Gossage has an illusion of print spots under the Yankee Flag.It's DIRT on the uniform,I think!
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    all yankees is the reason for the price on this card. pop doesn't matter, if girl maverick doesn't have it and it is in a 9 then it is going to get bid on aggresively
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Agreed - it is just a Yankees thing. I'm pretty sure the high bidder is DJ Walla - and if you do a scan of the Registry Yankee team sets - he has a run of 8s from every post-war set, more or less. His Yankee collection of PSA graded cards is worth six figures, easy. Some of his low population commons from the 1950s sets are really valuable - especially with the Yankees escalation factor added in.

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    I'm so glad that I hate the Yankees, because I certainly couldn't afford to collect them at these prices.
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers