Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

HELP!!!

Can you give your opinion on what you think this card would grade with PSA.. the only flaw you might not wee is a paper wrinkle on the left hand side of the card

Comments

• Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    I'm going to go out on a limb and accuse it of being trimmed on the left edge. Generally, to my experience, corner wear is most always even. The lower-right corner is rounded much more so than the lower-left. That's not smoking-gun evidence, but it's something that I'd take into further consideration.
  • Options
    I think the card looks good, and would grade a PSA 3 because of the wrinkle. I don't see any evidence of trimming, but of course you can never know for sure when all you have to base your opinion on is a scan.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    That card is a highly counterfeited card, so depending on how you acquired it, it may not be real. Prior to submitting it, I would measure it first off to see if it's the correct dimensions within 1/32". I would also suggest finding another Goudey card to compare the feel and paper texture of the card. You should also use a loupe (at least 8-10x) to examine the print patterns. If the black areas on the front are solid black ink and letters spelling Ruth's name area clean (no fuzziness around the edges), you should be in good shape, however, if they are made up of tiny dots (half-tone printing like the picture of Ruth is composed of), it's a copy.

If it's real, it looks like a 3 or 4 depending on that wrinkle.
  • Options
    what should this card measure?
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On some of these reprints, the word "reprint" was actually printed in the blank space on the back between "Co." and "Boston"

I'm not 100% sure because of the scan, but that blank space looks like it may have been tampered with meaning the word "reprint" was scratched out and fillers put in to smooth it out. If this is the case, you have a worthless card or maybe worth a few bucks.

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    OT.

Fisherboy, I really enjoyed looking at the scans that you on your website

My own collection only goes back to 33 goudey, so its great to see pics of pre WW I

thank you for taking the time to build it.
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    depending on how it was accuired, if it was mine i would submit it just for the sake of authentication. I would also do it at a show where psa can do it within 36 hrs. good luck
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>I got it here >>

Now I'd really worry about a reprint. The seller either doesn't have a clue about cards, or is only using that as a way to make people think they are getting something for nothing.

I hope this is legit, but ask anyone around here about what they think of buying raw on Ebay. Most of the stories aren't pretty--especially for cards like this one.
  • Options
    I emailed the seller a few minutes ago about getting a refund if it proves altered or a reprint.

he stated that he has no problem giving a refund if it is altered or a reprint.

i just nee dto find wha the measurements should be.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> if it was mine i would submit it just for the sake of authentication >>

Hi Brian
    First off welcome!
    I will go with Steve "Win" on this one - for your own peace of mind, this is one that may require authentication by PSA.

<< <i>The seller either doesn't have a clue about cards, or is only using that as a way to make people think they are getting something for nothing. >>

Jr has your back on this one also, IMO - the guy has a great ebay rep but it is always interesting when these non-sports guys 'throw in' an item like this. It seems to be a great venue for the infiltration of bogus Honus cards into the hobby.
    Good luck - we are behind you!
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dealer has fantastic feedback and I can see why you would trust him. He doesn't seem to deal much with cards. However, he has dealt heavily in coins. In my opinion there are very few, if any, coin dealers who would not know the value of a baseball card like this and submit it for grading. Or at least have a friend who would submit it for him. I don't know if it's technically a scam or not, but in my view it is almost certain that card is of not much value - certainly not $500. It was probably previously submitted and returned as ungradable but the dealer figured he'd throw the card on ebay and see what happens. I would just ask him for my money back and forget all about it. He seems like the type who wouldn't hassle you over wanting to do that. Good luck whatever you decide.
  • Options
    well, i have already paid him.. i should get the card on Saturday. i am going to send it to PSA for the 2 day grading.. so by the end of next week, i will know if i need to as for a refund or not..

he just said that if the card is returned in the same condition, he would refund the price.

• Options
    wasn't there a ballplayer named Brian Harper who played for the Twins awhile back?
  • Options
    Yeah, Brian played for a couple of years for the Twins in the early 1990's. We were good friends for a while, but we lost touch.. he now manages the Angels Rookie league team in Arizona
  • Options
    I would have to go with the concensus here, that card is likely unauthentic. I think SteveK may be correct when he mentioned that the word reprint may have been scratched off, as the scan looks unnatural in that area. I also took a look at a graded example that I pulled up in the PSA registery, and the borders look smaller, notably top to bottom. Often, reprints/counterfeits, especially Goudey's, exhibit larger borders than the authentic card.

The seller you purchased from seems very reliable, he'll deliver anything he sells promptly, however, this being his first sports card sale, I question it. Especially being that the Ruth from this set is one of the rarer cards in existance, only 200 PSA graded examples exist. The seller claims in the auction that he is not an expert on baseball cards. Most novice collectors likely have never even heard of the 33 Goudey Sport Kings set, yet the seller mentions "it is important to remember that this card is one of the greatest and from one of the most loved card series in history" which leads me to believe he knows more than he's admitting. Often, I've found, sellers trying to move a fake card of a top dollar card try playing dumb.

For what it's worth, I didn't see sanfranciscobaytrading, gseisser or sterlingpacks listed as people he's done business with in his recent feedback, but I didn't look too hard. I would recommend you go through his entire feedback and search for any of those sellers. gseisser and sterling packs are the same person, and one of the most common sellers of high dollar fakes. Sanfranciscobaytrading also sells his more than his share of fakes, but he usually sticks with fake Mantles. If you see either of those names in previous transactions, you can pretty much assume that your seller bought this card from him, sent it in to get it graded, it was rejected, and now he's just trying to recoup his losses. Here's a picture of a real one, good luck with whatever you wind up doing.

• Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>wasn't there a ballplayer named Brian Harper who played for the Twins awhile back? >>

Ok...........how many Barry Harpers' are on these boards anyway?? Or did I mean Barry Halper??

I'm getting so image

BOTR
  • Options
    I went to the sellers site today that is advertised in his auctions and he got this from a consignment. also, when i asked about his refund policy he again said he does not know about cards and this card was consigned to him.
    So, i will send it off to PSA for the 2 day service.. i might end up losing the grading fees, but at least i will know for sure either way
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    "it is important to remember that this card is one of the greatest and from one of the most loved card series in history" which leads me to believe he knows more than he's admitting.

A7, you hit the nail on the head with that one. I was thinking the same thing. BTW Brian, is the seller also going to refund your
    grading fee if it comes back rejected? Good luck to you. I want it to come back real for ya.

• Options
    Well... i got the card today.. the dimensions are correct for a 33 Sport Kings 2 3/8 x 2 7/8
    The card smelled old.. like some other pre was cards i have owned.
    the back of the card appears not to have been altered where the word "reprint" might have been

so i sent it to PSA for the 2 day grading.. i should know either way next wed or so.
  • Options
    Good luck Brian. Keep us posted.
  • Options
    Well, here is the update.. i just got the email from PSa with the grade.. it came back a PSA 1

not the best grade, but it is real... so, with that grade, how does the $500 i paid sound?
  • Options
    mrc32mrc32 Posts: 604
    PSA 1 seems like a low grade.....but $500 seems not bad for a Babe Ruth...

Here is a PSA 2 that went out at $800
  • Options

<< <i>PSA 1 seems like a low grade.....but $500 seems not bad for a Babe Ruth... >>

I agree with MRC
    The smr doesn't price out psa 1 but making a guess from the psa4 in the smr mag, they list a psa 4 at
    1850$ - so I would guess a psa 1 would be about 6-700$?
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i say congrats.. i think you did well!
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I say it's authentic and at least that counts for something. Sure a PSA 1 kinda sucks, it did look nicer than that in the scan... At least you know it's real.
  • Options
    Wow, score one for "Raw on Ebay". Looks like my professional advice about it being trimmed was right on the money! image
  • Options
    I am impressed that it came back with a grade. I definitely didn't see that coming, especially with the wording they used in the auction. I'd say you did great for $500, the fact that it's a real card. Congrats.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.. i like the deal much better now also.. boy, i tell you... my heart was racing when i checked the email from PSA Yesterday.. so all said and done.. $500 for the card and $47 for the grading.. so total $547 for the card.. not bad i guess.
  • Options
    Way to go dude! $500 for any real Ruth is a deal.
  • Options
    I just got the card in the mail this afternoon.. so this is what the card looks like now...

• Options

<< <i>so this is what the card looks like now >>

Brian
    Has better eye appeal than the grade awarded. I think it looks great for the money you spent - good job!
    Stone
    Mike
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    The creasing shows up much better in the new scan, for whatever reason.