Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Does pcgs feel that they are "at risk" when they give a top pop grade?

Does the pcgs guarantee create a situation whereby pcgs' grading of a top pop begs for another, and perhaps another just to protect themselves from scrutiny concerning the original top pop?

Comments

• Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    It has to play a part but to what degree I am unsure. Probably mostly an issue for Lincoln cents. Grading an MS67RD 09-S VDB is probably not someothing they would take lightly, same goes for MS68RD lincolns.
  • Options
    Sounds like a good question for the Q&A forum for next Tuesday
    David Schweitz
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve: Of course, the fiasco concering the "PR70DCAM" 1963 Lincoln Cent last year demonstrates that PCGS doesn't address the "risk" as you put it in that fashion as far as I see. Rather than slab up a couple of PR70's and get the $40k problem coin reduced down to a $10k pop 2 or 3 coin, PCGS simply pulled out their checkbook and reimbursed the owner of the coin for what he paid for it (or whatever amount that satisified the parties and removed the coin from the marketplace).

If anything, the "risk" PCGS feels when awarding a coin with top pop status was probably addressed, as MS68 pointed out, by PCGS employing a "double verification process" recently - ensuring that these coins are solid specimens for the grade.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    I stand corrected.
  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    My personal opinion is that PCGS is much more at risk from high grade proof coins changing colors then from the accuracy of the grading. I wonder what percentage of proof-70 DCAM gold eagles have toned.
  • Options

Registrycoin,

I wouldn't necessarily "stand corrected". I agree with Brian, that in the area of copper (especially Lincolns, as the prices are so crazy) I think PCGS is certainly aware of the "risk" of grading a Pop 1 or 2 coin. These grades will be very difficult to come by, just MHO.

Jack
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    It has seemed to me, that PCGS is extra diligent when an upgrade represents

a profound increase in value. Under such circumstances, they seem to grade on

the ultra conservative side. Probably just as well for all concerned.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    I agree with Bear.

Katrina
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I wonder what percentage of proof-70 DCAM gold eagles have toned."

Jay: My coolest "70" gold specimens are the coins that are toning! They are awesome and the toning has -0- impact on the 70 grade IMHO. Let me know if you get any toned 70's in stock - I am a strong buyer - especially for PR70DCAM Gold Eagles which you mentioned.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with Bear.

Katrina >>

Me too.image
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It has seemed to me, that PCGS is extra diligent when an upgrade represents a profound increase in values. >>

Interesting, and the "agreements" are also interesting...
    When did pcgs get "interested/knowledgable/into" deciding what creates a value increase? This is an interesting point.
    Are we, as collectors, "giving in" to various independent grading services, or abiding an ostensible appraisal firm?
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I find it interesting that "toning" may limit ultra grades on copper, and actually increase it on coins such as early commems--------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree