Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

BIG NEWS: LeBron/Jordan Dual NBA Patch 1/1

This card has been SOLD BACK TO UPPER DECK for $150,000!!!

Why would UD pay that kind of cash for something that only cost them a few dollars to make in the first place!!!

This hobby has seriously taken a bad turn.

Whoever sold it back was an idiot, taking a 50% loss seeing how it sold for $300,000 the last time around.

Comments

• joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    now can they put it in another product and idiots will buy that too at 500 a pop.

• do you have a source for this story?
  • phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭

<< <i>Whoever sold it back was an idiot, taking a 50% loss seeing how it sold for $300,000 the last time around. >>

It didn't sell for $300K. If it did he wouldn't have relisted it. I'd take $150K gladly if I was the owner.
  • jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    If this is true, it confirms in my mind that this is all one happy family working this stunt. First Valley Auction, located close to UD, auctioning the first two. Then an "ordinary Joe" who also happens to be in California auctioning the third one. Now UD is buying it back, you say. Whether everyone in this high-stakes move to drum up UD sales is technically related or not, it sure smells of incest.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Where did you hear about this? A reliable source?
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Here is my theory. If this is true, all of us complaining that this card wasn't even autographed might be getting our wish. Maybe UD will slip it in as a "Buy Back" and have them auto it and hand number it 1/1 next to the foil stamped 1/1. Then it will be worth 325k at least! image

• neenishneenish Posts: 559

• << <i>Here is my theory. If this is true, all of us complaining that this card wasn't even autographed might be getting our wish. Maybe UD will slip it in as a "Buy Back" and have them auto it and hand number it 1/1 next to the foil stamped 1/1. Then it will be worth 325k at least! image >>

now that would be sweet
  • neenishneenish Posts: 559
    I thought another thread stated that First Valley auction was located in northern California, not southern California where UD is located. I do know for a fact that the employees at UD used to sell their special UD employee only type cards (like the Jordan Christmas card a few years back) to a local card shop down the street from the headquarters in Carlsbad.
  • CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I badly want to believe that UD is caught in a PR/price fixing/fake memorabilia/forged auto scam...

But please... please... please... give us some meat on this bone so we have facts to base our suspicions on... who is the source of this info? Can you link us to a website with the facts?

Until then, I just have to think this is another dark rumor about the hobby that came out of the same jar Ted Williams' head is in.
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    didnt the card end at 150k with the reserve not met? the guys description said he would sell to the highest "legitimate" bidder.. so is it possible a representative of upper deck WAS the high bidder? (since it was a private auction)
    ·p_A·
  • They will probably balloon the price of some future product inserting this card as a buyback. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • MrRookie,

I'd also love to hear about your sources for this one.

Guys,

Considering that I've spoken to Orlando (collector who pulled the card) on Sunday night and exchanged e-mails with him yesterday and today about the card and current status, I can safely say that the card was not sold to Upper Deck. In fact, despite other stories, the card has not even been sold. The 2nd eBay auction that ended with a high bid of $150,100 (and reserve not met) did not result in an actual sale of the card.

More details to follow.

-Bob

TradingCardCentral.com - THE resource for trading card collectors.

TradingCardCentral.com covers sports cards, non-sports cards and collectibles and features the latest industry news, articles, product reviews, forums, giveaways and a growing number of collector resources.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Thanks again for the real news, Bob.

I still maintain no one will be foolish enough to pay more than, say, several thousand for this. And, the person that does might just be a publicity seeker. The longer it goes unsold, the less money it will bring.
  • Is it just me, or does Mr.Rookie enkoy making up stories ( and/or Beckett prices ), for the sake of his own amusement?

What is the point? There would have been over a thousand different people asking him where he got the info, and he still would have remained silent as he did here.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it just me, or does Mr.Rookie enkoy making up stories ( and/or Beckett prices ), for the sake of his own amusement?

What is the point? There would have been over a thousand different people asking him where he got the info, and he still would have remained silent as he did here.

TheRoach

image >>

What does Jim Thome 1991 Bowman book for?
    ·p_A·
  • Bingo!!! It was kinda like foreplay that day without the happy ending.

I'm sitting on 100 of the Thome rookies, and this guy tells me they are up to $15 a piece. Jerked me around.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Well, either this is a fake seller, or the owner has decided to try and see if he can get a legit buyer over on Naxcom. At this point, I'd try Mastronet or SCP if I was really trying to sell it, rather than play around with it on Naxcom.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    <burp>
    Good for you.

• << <i>Well, either this is a fake seller, or the owner has decided to try and see if he can get a legit buyer over on Naxcom. At this point, I'd try Mastronet or SCP if I was really trying to sell it, rather than play around with it on Naxcom. >>

Yes, Orlando (the collector who pulled the card) confirmed that the majority of the bidders on the 2nd eBay auction were also not serious and then decided to list the card on NAXCOM. The card was listed there late on the 28th or early the 29th, but it is not yet widely known that the card is there.

I'm going to be working with him on another story to help explain how things got from the 2 eBay auctions to press reports of it being sold to now being listed on NAXCOM.

-Bob

TradingCardCentral.com covers sports cards, non-sports cards and collectibles and features the latest industry news, articles, product reviews, forums, giveaways and a growing number of collector resources.

• why don't you tell the big O to come talk to us himself

• << <i>why don't you tell the big O to come talk to us himself >>

What does Mr. Robertson have to do with this? image

I'll let Orlando know about this forum and the threads and he may very well show up to discuss the card, selling plans, etc. He was very actively involved in a thread on the eBay message boards about his auction and I know that he had read through the threads on the Beckett boards during the 2nd eBay auction.

By the way, you never let us know who your sources were for the sale to Upper Deck. image

-Bob

• << <i>By the way, you never let us know who your sources were for the sale to Upper Deck. image

-Bob >>

I was told by 3 different people. Where there's smoke there's fire. You cannot deny there was at least talks with UD about a transaction......

• where'd you run off to TCC

• << <i>I was told by 3 different people. Where there's smoke there's fire. You cannot deny there was at least talks with UD about a transaction...... >>

I'm still around. image

I still have to look into this for you, but Orlando (the collector) has been on vacation and I have not been able to talk to him. I'm heading out for a week as well, but I'll try to get a "Yes/No" on Upper Deck talking to him before I leave on Friday.

-Bob