Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Cool "wild man" coin

This is a freaking awesome coin. I never had any idea these existed. I just thought it was so cool I wanted to share. I wonder what these are worth? No... I am NOT selling this coin.

wild man

zulan

Comments

• Although I find it to be most interesting.
    I cannot find it in Krause's World Coins book. Neither the obverse or reverse was found in the book.
    So unless someone knows where Krause has it in the book, I can only assume it is some sort of a medal or fantasy piece, or fake of some kind.
    It maybe isn't Austrian or Austrian related, but i didn't find anything close to it.
    Of course it could be a political insult piece from that period, as the "In Ricto Decus" seems to be a crude insult in Latin to me.
    Maybe someone who is better at Latin knows what the slang or phrase means.
    The 1709 date means very little if it isn't a real thing.
    During these periods something like that would probably get everyone associated with it, executed for insulting the king.
  • I found the meaning of the latin phrase... it means "Honour in acting right".
  • farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    A "wildman" thaler from the German state of Brunswick-Luneburg-Calenberg-Hannover
    KM #39 - The ruler is George I
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    Krause 1st ed 18th century:

German States: Brunswick-Luneburg-Calenberg-Hannover 1709 RB
    Davenport 2065, KM 35
    F $80, VF $150, XF $250, UNC $650

Nice coin.

Gene
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • nice snag, looks VFish.
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wild, man! image

Seen plenty, never owned one.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Cool find.
    Way to go.
    Thanks for identifying it. I should have thought of the Gernman states myself.
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    I'll be curious to see how much it sells for, the seller tx.unclaimed.property always seems to sell above retail.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm, money orders and certified checks only. Shipping via "UPS" insured ground? I was under the impression that coins could NOT be shipped via UPS insured.

Am I missing something here?

Tomimage
  • Cool coin there.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3