Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Clad Quarters

Will circulated clad quarters ever be worth anything?
Young Numismatist that collects: Morgan Dollars, SAE, Proof Sets, and Liberty Nickels.
I also love to go through rolls to find coins.
BST
MySlabbedCoins

Comments

• Options
    25 cents.

• Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Don't hold your breath.
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Maybe a 1964 clad, but that's about it. Is there such a coin? There has to be.
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    I'll take every clad quarter that you have that is struck on a dime planchet. I'll even pay you $5.00 shipping on each one.image
  • Options
    I don't have any.
    Young Numismatist that collects: Morgan Dollars, SAE, Proof Sets, and Liberty Nickels.
    BST
    MySlabbedCoins
  • Options

<< <i>I don't have any. >>

image It was a joke, no one here does, but if you do you can send it to me to make sure its real.image
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    I am just joking my friend, but I will tell you this, the year of the coin means exceedingly less than condition census in numismatics. We are an anal retentive and obsessive bunch when it comes to quality and grade. If you remember that, you will enjoy collecting and understand the psychology of the advanced numismatist. Again Grade of coin > Age of coin= happy collecting.

P.S: Historically significance, Yes its important. Thats why I enjoy First Flight Commems as much as Roman Denari.

Brian.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe a 1964 clad, but that's about it. Is there such a coin? There has to be. >>

Yes. It is unique however. There are several 1965 silver quarters.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Will circulated clad quarters ever be worth anything? >>

The question, of course, is a matter of when not if. Also, some varieties can be worth money.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Good point nwcs. One day they will be worth something. Of course we'll all be plant food by then.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't the 1983-P already worth a premium, even circulated? And what about the Delaware and some of the tougher State quarters? Most of those are clad. Redbook is pricing some in AU now, I think.

As young as you are, Coinerww, I wouldn't be surprised if you lived to see the day when clad quarters are worth a small premium in the circulated grades. (But only some of the tougher clads, perhaps).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I started a circulated set of these in mid-'97 when the states quarters program was signed
    into law. Primarily it was just to see how the high end of the various dates disappeared as
    collectors removed the better coin from circulation. I get rolls of quarters on most of by trips
    to the bank and have looked at in excess of about 20,000 coin so far. I save only the nice
    specimens which have not been damaged and won't upgrade a coin in the set unless the new
    one is clearly superior. The best '69 coin so far is a weak VF, there's a nice AU '69-D, but many
    of the early dates are simply unavailable in nice XF or better condition.

I've closely watched these coins for many years so there were relatively few surprises. One
    of the biggest is the rapidity with which the '84 to '89 dates are wearing down. These are get-
    ting decidedly tough to find in AU and even nice XF are much scarcer than they were. The '73-D
    has proven a challenge and there have been only three VF's with none better.

The '69 is interesting since most of these are pretty poorly made and now show excessive
    wear. There were virtually none set aside in rolls and the mint set coins are horrid due to
    excessive marking. Many of these ugly (and other) mint set coins have been put into ciccu-
    lation over the years so there are not many uncs. There are and will be virtually no AU's, no
    XF's, and no VF's. That leaves current collectors with the option of finding a nice VG or F in
    circulation (even these take a little effort) or buying an unc. If someone had a supply of nice
    XF's he could probably start making a market in them now since the uncs are getting up in
    price.

I think you'll see prices listed in the guides down to as low as VF within the next couple years.
    And since these coins are really even scarcer than the uncs the prices will not be a lot lower.

Lest Louis panic, most of the MS-60's are not going to be making very substantial gains in the
    near future. So we're probably talking only about $3 retail for the '69.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Yes, they will. Many will be semi-keys.

Most gains will be off in the future, especially if there is a coin-metal change. However, it may not be within our lifetimes that (most dates/mints) MS60+ specimens are worth anything more than a dollar or two.

They will be classics someday. Just not to most that are present on the forums at this time. I'm personally glad that some are getting encapsulated and saved now, to benefit the collectors of the future.
  • Options
    ar18ar18 Posts: 1,122
    the 83-p is worth more that 25c, I save all of them I get, have 50 or so thus far.

Jeff
  • Options
    I have some 1983-P's.
    BST
    MySlabbedCoins
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    83-p will be the cheap one because of all you guys saving them.
  • Options

<< <i>83-p will be the cheap one because of all you guys saving them. >>

I don't think so. People didn't save them in 83 so they are already very hard to find in higher grades.
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    Harder to find in BU, but weren't a lot of AU's saved in the mid 80's once people realized there was a BU shortage?
  • Options
    I think so, but that still means BU ones are worth a nice premium and even more in upper grades.
  • Options
    The '83-P will be (and is) one of the most common in AU. The '82-P is probably even more
    common in AU. If current trends continue they'll even be among the most common in XF as
    the late date eagle reverse coins become more worn. Since they already have substantial
    premiums in MS-60 many people will desire an AU of the '83 so demand will be far higher
    than other dates. In the long run though an AU-58 '69 will be far scarcer and command an
    even larger premium than an '83-P in AU. XF '83-P's are still fairly available in circulation
    but are certainly desirable if they are nice attractive specimens.

There will be some other sleepers in this series like the '73-D and some of the '68 to '74
    issues. The key to the circulated coins will be the number of uncs available and whether or
    not those uncs are generally attractive coins or not.

Many of the clad quarters were very unattractive even when they were new and for some
    dates they are much more difficult with a decent strikes and without gouges and planchet
    scratches. Even attractive VF's can look better than most of the uncs in some dates.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Any more opinions?
    BST
    MySlabbedCoins
  • Options

<< <i>Any more opinions? >>

Well, since you asked...

If people ever get interested in these there will be numerous surprises. There are several
    very interesting and fun varieties which simply don't exist or are exceedingly rare in unc. Some
    of these form whole series comprising several dates. Those which don't exist in unc could get
    substantial values in nice VF or XF condition if collectors seek them as part of the set.

Whether anyone ever seeks these coins or not, they are a hoot to watch for and it's very
    instructive to watch how coins circulate and seek new discoveries and new varieties.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    In 25 years or sooner, most coinage will be replaced by "cash cards" and that will make clad coins akin in value to what we see now for circulated buffaloes, indian cents, and even 90% junk. however, you might be better off putting your clads in a bank account earning interest. or better yet... in junk silver. cheers, alan mendelson
  • Options

<< <i>In 25 years or sooner, most coinage will be replaced by "cash cards" and that will make clad coins akin in value to what we see now for circulated buffaloes, indian cents, and even 90% junk. however, you might be better off putting your clads in a bank account earning interest. or better yet... in junk silver. cheers, alan mendelson >>

I certainly would not advocate hoarding typical clad quarters. These would represent huge
    opportunity costs and would be extremely unwise to hold on to. Of course this does not apply
    to the rarities. Even if they never get any value there is no danger of tying up a lot of money in
    them since they are so hard to find.

In the nearly 40 years of watching these and 32 years of actively collecting them I've found
    fewer than perhaps a couple hundred circulated coins which were worth saving on the basis
    of mere scarcity. Indeed, a few of these have enough current value to cover the interest that
    could have been earned. The gems from "circulation" have proven a far better "investment".
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I like the 83-D better than the 83-P.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file