Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Idea for Refinement in Pop Report and Slabs

This came up on another thread, but I wanted to bring it up here on its own. I 'm sure someone has brought this up to the powers that be at PSA, but if someone with their ear to the tracks could confirm their stance on this situation.

I recently bought a 1981 OPC greyback card, which is significantly rarer than the whiteback version, and would prefer that it was slabbed as such, so that two recognized variations could be noted in the Pop report. This isn't so much a big deal for me as I imagine that it would be for t206 type collectors. I know there are a ton of guys out there who would love to have their cards reslabbed with Uzit, Drum, or Bozo the Clown backs. If PSA were to charge $5 a pop (their current price for a reholder) to reslab with the variation, I would be willing to bet they would get hundreds of cards in. Whats more, if the cards were sent in in the original slabs, the pop reports could be updated (subtracting the old flip while adding the new one).

Am I alone in thinking this?

Comments

• I'd definitely be in favor of something like that. I don't have any cards that fit this description, but if I did I'd definitely opt for a reholder to get a card marked denoting its variation type.

Peter G.
    Always looking for PSA 9 or better Alan Trammell basic set cards. Visit my Trammell card web site at "www.trammellcards.com"
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    It would be a good idea to have the variations listed, but it would be too late for the Pop reports to have an accurate accounting, unless every T206 (as example) would be returned so that Sweet Caporal, piedemont, Polar Bear, Hindu, Uzit etc.. would be noted...jay
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Mudflap:

I think that there is a lot of agreement / desire for this. However - I'm pretty sure that there have been people asking PSA to label the T206 cards by advertising backs for a while now - and PSA has balked - even at the prospect of additional reholdering fees....

And, to Jay's point, although the Population Reports would never become 100% accurate - this process could only help "improve" the process, and make it more accurate. Never be perfect - but a little bit better works for me.

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    P.S. For What it is worth - I have sent a handful of my rare back pre-war cards to GAI specifically because of this deficiency in PSA's grading system.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.