Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

100% - HOF Portrait Collection

To all-

After nearly ten years................I've finally completed my HOF Portrait Collection. I would like to thank all of the dealers who have helped me with this endeavor. My first purchase for the collection was a raw 1968 Topps Aparicio that eventually graded a NM-MT 8 - thanks Mile High. The last card I needed was a Cool Papa Bell. I had one picked out for the National but PSA refused to grade it. It was not a licensed issue. Deanna, a PSA rep, urged me to find another card. I did and submitted it at the show through express service - a $2 Perez Steele card - for $25 - crazy? Maybe, but it graded a PSA 10. How cool is that for the last card. Anyway, here is the collection:

Hall of Fame Players - Currently #4

I prefer the following page where they are displayed in alphabetical order (please bookmark - it is updated frequently):

A Screenshot of the Entire Collection (thumbnails are clickable)

In particular, I want to thank Ryan Christoff, Dan McKee, Matt Goebel, Bob Kaiser, Irv Lerner, Marty Pritchard, and Brian Drent. The cards you sold me are the cornerstones of this collection. I proudly display pictures of these issues and others on the inside of my office cubicle walls, cell phone backdrop, laptop desktop, coffee mug, etc.

My favorites are the Jackie Robinson, Ted Lyons (a 1924 Diaz Cigarettes ROOKIE that hasn't been scanned yet), Bobby Doerr, Lou Boudreau, Joe DiMaggio, Gabby Hartnett, Timothy Keefe, Ernie Banks, Roberto Clemente.... So, you get the point - I love them all.

I would also like to thank my other friends in the hobby - you know who you are - Anthony, Tom, Larry, Dave, Greg, Frank, Levi, Jay, Kirk, Carlos, and others I missed. I appreciate the number of times you have all listened to what qualifies as a portrait card and what the collection means to me. Meeting many of you over the past two years has been a true pleasure and I look forward to future meetings/beers/snipe battles, etc.

What's next? Well, I would love to replace the tributes with cards issued during the players career. I am also actively pursuing upgrades. Currently, I am at 71% on this venture:

Hall Of Fame Complete Set - Currently #2

In addition, I will begin another set dedicated to the HOFers - action cards. I have begun compiling a list of my favorite action shots of each HOFer. Please help me by replying to this post with some ideas. Examples include the 1954 Stahl-Meyer Campanella, 1953 Bowman Reese, 1950 Bowman Larry Doby, etc. I look forward to viewing the suggestions.

Thanks to all image

Mark Tylicki

Comments

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    thats an amazing collection!

Congrats!

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Hard to say more than WOW!!!! What a collection and what a display. Thanks for sharing.
    Dave C.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Awesome....that photo display is teriffic!
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    MARK - Very impressive! Great job!
    Have you thought about Football or any other sport? Seems like a natural follow-up...jay
  • Options
    Let me know if you need help passing Jim image

Well done pal.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    nice job!
    Good for you.
  • Options
    That thumbnail is pretty cool, I hope I can finish my HOF autographs and Babe Ruth set someday too... Thanks for sharing that...

hmmm maybe a HOF game used relic set....
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    What a fabulous website. I just fav'ed it.

Interesting to see that you have included Rose and Shoeless Joe. I have absolutely no problem with that.

I didnt have time to look at the HOF roster, but are the gaps for people who dont have cards? Or was it just a presentation decision?

Again, this is quite the collection, thanks for sharing it.

Keith
  • Options
    Whats intresting to me are almost ever card is different, I especially like the odd ball ones like the orgin of baseball and the Kraft, and Target issues...
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    WOW - very impressive. image
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    Awesome cards Markimage
    Gregory Voit
    AKA..
    Ebay - mpn2gwvputty
    Ratso of the Booze Junkies MC
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Mark! Very impressive. Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you at the luncheon but I had to go home early and was not able to make it. I looked for your Rusty Willy tee shirt while I walked around on Thursday, but no luck. Chicago in 2005?

Bob
  • Options
    Awesome set Mark!

For suggestions as to action shots... The '73 Stargell comes to mind as a cool action shot of a hall of famer....

Keep up the awesome work, love the website.

-Ian

*edited to add:*

Mark, what's the story behind the Ven. Wagner?
  • Options
    Mark,

WOW!!! was the first thing that came to my mind when the webpage loaded...Simply beautiful was my second thought as I clicked on the cards.. Great Job, thanks for sharing.
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options

Mark, You have an awesome HOF collection and thanks for sharing all the pix. Glad i got to meet you at the National and i only wish i would have had more time so i could have bought everone a beer and talked a little more about this great hobby we all share.

Congrats!
    Paul.
    Check out my vintage football card web site: WWW.MONSTERSOFTHEGRIDIRON.COM
    STEELERS4LIFE
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Sweet googly moogly. Nice stuff.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    That's a pretty fabulous set. Congraulations, Mark! I'm very happy for you.

I particularly like your 1955 Bowman umpires that are on the thumbnails, but not the Registry.

Best-
    Marc

p.s. did your crawford card begin in the PSA holder and then cross? Or the other way around?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Awesome display - congratulations.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Mark-
    Congrats! Quite an accomplishment.
    Can't wait to see the next HOF set you're working on.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Mark,

Great set, congratulations!

As for your next endeavor, I have always liked the action shots of the 1950 Bowman Spahn and Feller. Spahn has the high leg kick going. And Feller has the big rock-back overhead motion. Both extremely cool!
    Looking for:
    1953 Topps in PSA 8
    1941 Playball in PSA 8.
    1952-1955 Red Man cards in 7 and 8
    1950 Bowman in PSA 8
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    Great website! I'm about 40% done on my HOF hunt - you've just motivated me to keep going.
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Great set. Congratulations.

Here are a few recommendations for especially attractive cards to have for the In Action set:

Nolan Ryan - 1974 Topps (front view during delivery)
    Ted Williams - 1959 Fleer Ted Sets Runs Scored Record (Williams sliding)
    Jim Palmer - 1982 Topps In Action (angled front view during delivery)
    Carlton Fisk - 1974 Topps (blocking the plate waiting for a throw)

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.