Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

All 10 copies of a single showcard? How'd he do that?

Ever seen something like this before?

eBay auction

(Edited to correct retarded typo in title)

Comments

• Options
    Thats pretty cool. Too bad its the sportsfest cards though. I used to collect a lot of Chris Pronger cards that were numbered out of 10 and 25. Most i got was like 12 outta 25 on an UD issue.

Ben

• Options
    Finishing off a run of cards is very difficult. I am shooting for the Essential Credentials Future Chris Bosh RC's #ed to 11. I currently have 5 of them (2 BGS 9.5's, 2 BGS 9's and one raw one).
    CB4
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    He probably bought them at the show. I have seen dealers posting lists offering fairly high prices for BAP show cards #/10 to people who had just gotten them, and I know that at the 2002 NHL Fantasy someone sold off 2 Pronger #/10 and about 5 or 6 other future HOFers #/10 to one of those dealers for about the same price that he had paid for the box he opened to get those cards (as well as over a dozen of lesser players that he kept).

I don't remember what all the sales prices were, but I know the highest anyone was offering for Hasek #/10 (I have one) was $20. I didn't sell any. Of course, since common #/10 show cards now sit in dealer boxes for $1 apiece or less, I probably should have.

Nick

Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I bought one pack of BAP at the national just to get one of the /10 cards as a memoir. This year they had 1/1 versions as well. Good news: I got one of the 1/1's. Bad news: I've never heard of the guy.

Joe

Edited to add: At one point I owned 4 of the 5 Marcus Allens from the 2002 Donruss Classics National showcard. Mostly it's dealers getting these so the vast majority show up on eBay.
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    I saw people opening those packs at Sportsfest. They were busting them just as fast as they could, barely looked at them and immediately grabbed another pack and continued the machine-gun style assault. All the time they were having conversations with each other. It just seemed like 8 guys scratching lottery tickets.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    uhh.. what the hell is BAP?
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    I've never seen something like that outside of SoCal.

Brian
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭

<< <i>Bad news: I've never heard of the guy. >>

Can you tell us who it was? I might be interested.
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭

<< <i>uhh.. what the hell is BAP? >>

Be A Player, the NHLPA's marketing brand-name. The current BAP license holder is In The Game; previously BAP cards were issued by Upper Deck.
  • Options
    jmpkcpjmpkcp Posts: 97 ✭✭
    It is impossible. At one point in time, I owned about 60 of the 99 Gold Refractor Ichiro Suzuki rookies from 2001 Bowman Chrome. I scowered Ebay and message boards, bought all of the redemption cards I could at any price, even got a lot of them graded from PSA at one time, almost 30 of them, (they all came back 9s) so I resubmitted to BGS and a lot of them got 9.5s, which is why there is an unusually high number of them graded by both companies. PSA currently has 15 graded English and 15 graded Japanese. And BGS has graded 25 English and 24 Japanese, of which at least 40 of those were mine. But trust me, there are not 79 (30 psa + 49 bgs =79) individual ones of this card graded. At least 20 of the redemption cards are still in packs, another 10 or so missed the cutoff date or didn't even realize what the redemption card was. An impossible task for me.

Here's the BGS Pop report

Joe
    jmpkcp
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Bad news: I've never heard of the guy. >>

Can you tell us who it was? I might be interested. >>

I'll take a look when I get home.

Joe
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Joe - it's not impossible from a show issue card. All of those cards are distributed in one place, on one or a few days, so that everyone who gets them can readily find which dealers are buying and for how much.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    The 1/1 I got is of Cristobal Huet. I can scan it if you'd like.

Joe