How 'bout:
"I just haven't registered my set, but it's the best."
"My client doesn't want their set made public, but it's the best."
"I have many, many coins to go through, and when I'm done, I'll have the best."
Are there more??? image

Comments

• Options
      tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
      While those comments might raise a flag, there is a thread of truth in each.

I'm sure each of us knows a great set out there that's not registered. I know of quite a few. And don't knock someone not wanting to go thru the experience of being held hostage - it's not pretty. How would you like someone offering you a coin at twice what it's worth and then going elsewhere at a more realistic price when you pass? It happens, and I'd wager it happens more often to those with open sets.
    • Options
      Well, there's that. But what if it's a pop 1/0 coin that you've been searching to find for a long, long time and you know that it's going away for a long, long time more if you pass? Like I said, it raises feelings that you don't want to have to deal with.... some people would rather just keep their sets closed and avoid the possibility.
    • Options
      Well, I guess that would depend on whether the primary purpose of the Registry is to show where the greatest sets in each series peak, or to show the greatest sets in all their glory. I think it's a little of both, so I don't have a problem with either choice.
    • Options
      RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
      Why is the pcgs registry coin forum used for an advertisement for an unlisted set? I understand that there are those who have actually seen these sets, and concur that they are "better", but within discussions on the registry forum, are they important? Do they exist?
      It is kinda like a tree falling the forest... ...Does it make a noise? image
      ps. Kindly don't get down on me. This is just a fun thread, I hope.image
    • Options
      Dunno. Is the world's finest collection of early American coinage, including the Childs and Dexter 1804 dollars and the Eliasberg 1822 $5 important in the scheme of all things numismatic? I think it is...
    • Options
      RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
      Dunno too. Are the coins in the Smithsonian important enough to display?
    • Options
      keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
      the recent bruhaha about the Numero Uno Commem Set seems to upset and prove your theory that the best sets aren't necessarily all registered and are all registered at the same time. that set got registered to facillitate a sale with hopefully higher prices, but from a grade point perspective, it was "better" than any other before it got posted.

i think the Registry concept and the attendant language that goes along with it is what gets collectors like you----and me----tweeked sometimes. there is a stark difference between Best and Highest Graded that gets lost in the rankings. i personally have some coins that i'd put up against some higher graded counterparts. i'd be OK in the "language" battle.

al h.image
    • Options
      puffpuff Posts: 1,475
      >>I dont want to open my set because someone will hold me hostage on my next purchase.imageimage<<

Been there done that Craig, and it's nothing to laugh about, or as Bruce said it's not pretty.image

>>How would you like someone offering you a coin at twice what it's worth and then going elsewhere at a more realistic price when you pass? It happens, and I'd wager it happens more often to those with open sets.<<

You hit the nail on the head Bruce...... This has happened to me twice, so I closed my set..... It also keeps those that are competing with you in an auction online, or on the floor, from running your price up for various reasons..... Especially if you have a set as I do that is ranked in the top 3 all time finest as my 1933 to 1947 Late date Walker set, and since I particularly collect high end toned Walkers I am even more susceptable to this practice.

Now if my set were complete, and it wasn't still a work in progress, and if I had photos of all of my Walkers, (which I don't), I would open it up so other collectors of this series could see the most beautiful set of Walkers that is 100% toned, and possibly the finest toned set of Walkers ever assembled on or off the registry.......

>>I think it is classier to leave it unlisted.<<

Being classier Craig has nothing to do with it in my opinion..... I have my set listed in the registry for several reasons... First and foremost is so that when I want to see a list of my Walkers, are update my set it is the easiest way I know of to do this... If this is being classless then so be it.image